Chapter 88.

"I know it gets better

I hope it gets better from here, from here
We'll pick up all of the pieces
We'll turn the pain into peaches
I'm not afraid of my demons
We'll turn the pain into peaches"

Song: Peaches - Grandson

******

CHRISTMAS DAY

DEC 25TH:

PART 1.

A cemetery isn't somewhere I thought I'd be Christmas morning, but here I am.

Harry is at home, spending time with Ludo.

He's coping with Maurines passing a bit differently to me.

I think he's still trying to figure out how to deal with someone dying that meant a lot to him. He dealt with Jimmy's mum passing away, but he hadn't seen her since he was 10 years old.

We slept in this morning, considering we didn't get much sleep last night.

My body is absolutely feeling it today.

The memories of last night still have my stomach flipping when I think about it.

Harry is still convinced Ludo is judging him, even when we got out of bed this morning; I heard him arguing with Ludo in the kitchen.

"Stop staring at me like that."

"I dunno what you think you heard, but maybe you shouldn't be eavesdropping. It's not my fault."

"Look, just because one of us is missing our balls doesn't mean we both have to not get laid."

"See this is why I make you take a nap."

"Look you lick your own asshole — you don't see me judging you, do you?"

You could tell Harry till you're blue in the face that Ludo just wanted his breakfast and that's why he was staring at him, but he won't listen.

Harry had helped me, once we weren't still half asleep, to make a new trifle — well, he more so supervised to make sure I didn't drop this one.

I got most of it done, and told him I'd finish the rest of it once I came home from dropping by the cemetery to visit Maurine. When I get home Harry and I are spending our own little Christmas time together, before going to Sophies for dinner.

I'm hoping he likes what I got him — I haven't exactly been in the best mental place these last few months, and I know it's been hard on him too, so I'm hoping it at least makes him smile.

I'm shocked he let me go on my own today, but once I got there I quickly realised why.

It didn't take me long to spot Jimmy standing at his mum's grave.

The day is hot already, even though it's not even midday, and sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to experience Christmas when it's cold — with the snow.

Jimmy was wearing a pair of jeans and fitted white t-shirt, with his back facing to me as I walked over and hadn't noticed me coming up behind him.

Not really thinking it through, I tapped him on the back and said, "Merry Christmas."

"Jesus fucking fuck-"

Jimmy shouted at the same time I half screamed from his sudden reaction. He nearly jumped out of his skin before spinning around and almost knocking me over.