Chapter 7

A few nights later, Meredith found herself eagerly getting ready for a quiet dinner with Derek, just the two of them. He was taking her to some overly expensive restaurant, she was sure, and George and Callie were coming to watch Hanna since both Alex and Izzie had to work late.

Meredith finished brushing out her hair and glanced one last time in the mirror, before hurrying down stairs. She found Derek in the living room, leaning against the wall smiling, as he watched Hanna fire endless questions at a baffled George and Callie. Meredith slid an arm around Derek's waist and he kissed her forehead, before they turned their attention back to Hanna.

"But why did the baby kick you? Is she mad?" Hanna furrowed her brows, staring intently at Callie's large baby bump.

"No, she or he is not mad. It just doesn't have much room to move, it's all squished and getting ready to come out very soon." George assured Hanna.

Hanna's head shot up excitedly. "The baby's going to come out soon?!" Then her face fell serious again. "How?"

Callie exchanged a nervous glance to George who raised his eyebrows to her parents who watched silently amused.

"Um, Hanna, how about you go get your jammies on for Uncle George and Aunt Callie." Meredith suggested calmly, hoping her daughter would drop her unanswered question.

"Okay Mama, but at least tell me how the baby got in there?" Hanna stood and crossed the room. She stopped in front of her parents and looked up determined, both hands on her hips.

"Not now Hanna. We'll talk about it later." Meredith tried to give Hanna a stern look that portrayed she meant business, but inside Meredith felt foolish. She was a doctor for crying out loud, why couldn't she just rationally explain the miracle of birth to her four year old?

Hanna nodded defeated and turned for the stairs, but suddenly stopped and turned with excitement in her eyes. " Can I be your helper when the baby comes out Aunt Callie? I could even change the diapers, I've been practicing on my dolls!"

"Sure Hanna, I promise that whenever I need someone to help me change a diaper, you'll be the first one I call." Callie smiled reassuringly to a now bouncing Hanna.

The small child hurried up the stairs letting out an enthused, "WHoopeee!" as she disappeared into her room.

The adults let out a small chuckle and Derek turned to Meredith. "You ready to go?"

Meredith nodded, gathering up her purse and keys and shrugging into the jacket Derek held for her, before turning to the babysitters of the night. "Thanks you two. I really appreciate it. I'll have my cell if there are any problems."

George and Callie reassured her everything would be fine as Derek pushed her out the door before she could start reminding them of Hanna's bed time and what her favorite book was and how she liked the ballerina night light to be left on.

He led her to his car and opened the passenger side door for her. As she lowered herself in, Derek's phone began to ring. Meredith sighed and looked up at him as he checked the flashing screen.

"It's the hospital, I have to answer it." Derek tried an apologetic smile before flipping it open and holding it to his ear.

Meredith watched on, inevitable disappointment settling in.

"Shepherd here. Uh hu..... Okay....I understand. Yes sir, Mr. Luckabee, I'll be right there." Derek slowly closed his phone and returned it to the pocket in his black slacks, before meeting Meredith's eyes.

"I'm sorry Mer...." Derek's voice pleaded.

"It's fine Derek." Meredith grabbed her purse and stood from the car. She tried to avoid Derek's begging eyes, but he grabbed her and turned her to face him.