Chapter 10

Making love to Meredith had never been a problem for Derek. Everything about kissing her and touching her came natural for him. The way their bodies fit together, the way his hands could make her moan and tremble in satisfaction. It was like a dance he had memorized. He knew by heart the spot slightly above her collarbone, that if he kissed just right, would cause her tension to ease. There was a spot just below her navel, that if he teased correctly, rendered her completely vulnerable. He knew these spots, and others, like the back of his hand. He knew how to thrust at the right tempo as she was climaxing, to cause her to call out in pleasure just a tad louder.

No, making love to Meredith was never difficult. It was the other stuff. The talking, the communicating, the sharing, the trusting. He couldn't seem to get that part right. So as he led her out of the hospital and driven her home, they hadn't talked. Neither wanted to ruin the perfectness of the moment. They had both chosen to remain quiet until the bedroom door was closed and locked securely behind them and the clothes had been ripped off. He pushed her towards the bed with more desire and determination he had felt in a long time. The anger and the sorrow and the grief and frustration from the last week was evident in his forceful kiss and her aggressive hands as she pulled him closer to him, desperately needing him inside her.

They did that dance that Derek knew so well. Naked bodies becoming one, unspoken needs being satisfied. After reaching his peak of pleasure shortly after Meredith's, he collapsed next to her, both out of breath, both heart's racing frantically. They stared up at the ceiling, small smiles hidden on both faces.

A few minutes passed and their worlds slowly started crashing back down to reality. Derek knew things should be said. He should apologize more; make sure she had really forgiven him. Make sure things between them were right.

"Mer?"

"No. Not now. Don't ruin this." Meredith spoke between breaths. Still coming down from her own orgasmic high.

"Okay." Derek nodded and wrapped her in his arms, content to let what they had just shared, speak for itself.

---------

Meredith reached over and turned the alarm off with out even opening her eyes. She felt different. Somehow lighter, happier. A smile spread across her face when she recalled the events from the night before. The priceless look on Dr. Zeta's face. The amazing sex she'd had with Derek. Falling asleep in his arms just felt so right. She hadn't realized just how much she had missed it for the last week that she had been so determined to stay angry at him. Maybe they were fine. Maybe things would work out with him being chief. She could be patient. He was worth it.

She opened her eyes and found the spot next to her empty. Meredith rubbed her eyes and reluctantly got out of bed to head for the shower. Her shift started in an hour and she still needed to get Hanna up and ready as well.

A small, torn piece of paper caught her eye as she headed to the bathroom. It sat on her dresser under her discarded pager from the night before. She recognized Derek's sloppy doctor handwriting immediately.

Mer-
Lunch?
I love you
Der

Meredith assumed the quick note meant he wanted to meet her for lunch. They hadn't really talked last night. They really hadn't needed words for what they did, but she knew the air needed clearing, and couldn't help but think it would be nice to have lunch with her boyfriend. Meredith's smile remained on her face as she showered and got dressed, and hung around for most of her morning.

--------

Meredith had been a little apprehensive walking into Seattle Grace. She knew Dr. Zeta wasn't the type to back down so easily, and worried what the day might have in store for her. She was relieved when Cristina informed her that Dr. Zeta had relieved her of her services and she'd get to work with Cristina on her cases for the day.