Chapter 11

Derek mumbled under his breath as he hurried down the stairs towards his office. He had repeated over and over to his new secretary that under no circumstances was he to be bothered during his important meeting. The only exception was if there was a family emergency, if Hanna was sick or hurt. This last thought caused Derek's blood to race a little faster and he picked up speed as he barreled around the corner and came face to face with his secretary.

"I'm so sorry, sir. She made me page you... I told her I wasn't suppose to...." The panicked secretary's voice faltered as her eyes met the out of breath doctor's wide concerned ones.

"Who's she? Is Hanna okay?" Derek asked impatiently.

"Oh! Yes, Dr. Shepherd. Hanna's fine.... It's just..." The secretary quickly replied, her eyes darting from him to his office, still apparently worried about something.

"Then what is it?" Derek rubbed the bridge of his nose, growing impatient with each word.

"Um... it's your...um"

Still not understanding, Derek followed her eyes to the open door of his office and stepped over to see what she was referring to. Derek pushed the door open a bit more, still confused, furrowing his brows until they rested on the last person he had expected.

"Mom!"

"Derek, there you are. You know that secretary of yours made me wait ten minutes! Ten minutes! It's a sad day when a mother has to be put on her son's schedule for a visit."

She stood from the chair she waited in, and crossed the room, keeping her face serious. It wasn't until she stood less than two feet away from Derek, that her face split and her eyes sparked. She smiled wide as she held her arms open to her only son and he pulled her in for a warm embrace.

"I'm sorry mom. I wasn't expecting you." Derek pulled away and looked down into his mother's warm face. She had several new wrinkles and her hair was now completely gray, the last six years had aged her tremendously. "What are you doing here mom?"

"What did you expect son? For the last five years, you're this depressed, miserable man who won't come out to visit his family, you don't return phone calls, basically cut your family and friends off. Hell, we pegged you as suicidal; your sisters even had wages on how you'd end up taking your life." She shook her head, apparently not at all approving of his sisters' bet. She continued before Derek could respond.

"And then one day I get a message on my machine. My long lost son, your voice cheerful and happy, saying something about how things in life have dramatically changed and for the first time in so long you've found love and peace. And that's it. No details, no further explanation. What did you expect me to think? To do, Derek? I tried calling you trailer, but I was told the number had been disconnected. I tried your office but that one didn't work as well. I finally called Addison, who informed me it wasn't her place to tell what's going on, I should come find out for myself. And so I'm here. Tell me, Derek. What is going on?"

Derek laughed and shook his head. "I'm sorry mom. I meant to call again, but things just got so busy. I had the trailer's utilities turned off because I haven't stayed there in a while and... I have a new office." Derek gestured to the room they currently stood in. "I got chief." Derek smiled proudly, but that wasn't the good news he was dying to share with his mother.

"So... you got Chief? And now all of a sudden life is grand and you're happy and you've found love. Because you got Chief?" Derek's mother asked skeptically.

"No! No, that's not it at all." Derek ran a hand through his hair, debating how he should break the rest of the news to his mother. Finally making up his mind, he smiled and looked down at her, his eyes now shining. "Come with me mom. I want to show you something."