Chapter 8

"Shall I call you a cab Meredith?" Joe asked concerned, resting his hand on her back.

Meredith brought her head up from where it rested on the hard wooden counter. She rubbed her forehead where the skin had stuck to the surface and offered a small smile.

"That's okay Joe. I'm fine."

"You might not be that drunk, but you're also not fine. I can't let you drive home." Joe collected her small pyramid of empty glasses into the large plastic bin he was carrying. He knew she hadn't drank nearly as much as she had wanted to. Years ago she would have tripled what she had consumed that night, but he knew she wasn't that same girl. She now had a daughter to take care of.

"Just... can I have a few more minutes of self pity?"

Joe laughed. "Sure." He walked away and started clearing off some the deserted tables behind her.

Meredith looked around and realized the evening was coming to an end. Her two new friends had quickly lost interest in her when they realized they weren't going to be getting anything juicy out her. She had expertly side stepped each question until they had grown tired of her and decided to try a round of darts. She watched them, still trying to master the art of actually getting one of the sharp darts to plunge the corkboard. Only a few other patrons still lingered, keeping to themselves in private booths. Meredith recognized them all from the hospital.

She turned back to the bar and caught Joe's attention. "One more Joe.... then I'll let you call that cab."

Joe nodded reluctantly, and placed a fresh shot in front of her as the bell on the door softly chimed once more.

Meredith didn't bother looking up. She was lost in her own thoughts, lost in the dark liquid staring up at her that didn't seem to have the same comforting effect it had offered what seemed so long ago. She emptied it and decided one more wasn't enough and signaled to Joe.

For the second time that night, a shadow crossed over her. Before she could look up, the deep familiar voice pierced the blissful silence that had surrounded her.

"No. No more Mer. You've had enough."

She didn't turn. Instead she stared straight ahead and gave Joe an impatient look. "This glass isn't going to fill itself Joe." She held the tiny glass up and shook it, as if to demonstrate its emptiness.

"Let's go Mer." Derek put a hand under her arm and tried to help her up.

Meredith jerked out from his touch and started growing angrier. "I said one more Joe!" She slapped the counter with her bare hand, causing everyone to turn her way. Especially two wide eyed interns.

Derek glanced at the audience they now had and lowered his voice. "Meredith... please don't do this. Come home with me."

Meredith finally turned so she was facing him. His eyes were pleading and hers were flashing with anger. She kept her voice low but heavy with irritation. "No, Derek. I am not coming home with you. Just leave me alone."

Derek ran a hand through his hair frustrated, something he had done repeatedly that night. The urgent matter Mr. Luckabee had insisted he come in for ended up being a minor error in some paperwork that could have easily been dealt with in the morning.

"Mer. Listen to me. We can do this one of two ways. You can agree to discuss this like two mature grownups and walk out with me to my car willingly. Or B, I can pick you up and drag you kicking and screaming and force you in my car. It's up to you. Personally I would suggest the first option if I were you, it would leave a lot less to be discussed by the entire hospital tomorrow."