Chapter 48

"I need someone to do a consult on a GSW down in the pit!" Bailey's voice broke through the tired conversation Meredith, Cristina, and Alex were having at the end of the long day.

"I'll do it!" Meredith hopped up. Her feet were swollen, her back ached, and she couldn't ever remember feeling so tired or uncomfortable, but staying busy meant avoiding Derek.

Bailey glared at her. "I was meaning one of the other fools that isn't nine months pregnant ready to pop."

"I'm fine. I can do it... really... no problem... really." Meredith kept trying as Bailey kept up her heated glare.

"Karev... get on this...and tell one of your interns to run the labs."

Meredith sighed and leaned back against the nurses station as Bailey and Alex hurried away.

"What was that about?" Cristina asked skeptically.

"Addison said if I want to have this baby I have to have lots of sex." Meredith answered frowning.

"And that's a problem because..." Cristina raised her eyebrows.

"You don't understand... this body isn't even mine anymore. I'm a freaking elephant and... I don't know. I can't tell Derek. That's for sure. If he knows we can have sex now and that Addison is actually ordering it... I'll never hear the end of it. He'll never let me come up for air."

Cristina made a face.

"What?" Meredith furrowed her brows.

"I was just picturing two elephants..."

"Cristina!" Meredith yelled, stopping her mid sentence and causing them both to crack up.

Cristina suddenly sobered and looked down at a chart in front of her. Meredith studied her confused a moment before jumping at the unexpected voice behind her.

"Aww there you are!"

Meredith bit her lip. "Oh...hi ... Derek..."

"So how was your appointment with Addison this morning? You know I never did get that page you promised. I hope nothings wrong."

Meredith met eyes with Cristina for a moment before turning to face her fiancé.

"Right... about that...um... sorry... I just got really busy today. I scrubbed in on a valve replacement." She smiled proudly, hoping to change the subject.

"So I saw. But you didn't answer my question. How'd the appointment go?" Derek folded his arms and tilted his head, faking concern.

"It... went ...good." Meredith answered simply, her eyes darting up and down the hall for an escape.

"Uh hu." He said nodding his head. "Anything of importance to share."

"Nope, not really." She answered, crossing her arms to match his stance.

"And the no sex thing?" It was taking every ounce of his self control to not start laughing at Meredith's deer in the headlights look.

She quickly recovered, hoping Derek hadn't noticed and answered cooly. "Ya... about that... Addison said she wanted to check things out again in a couple days before giving us the green light."

"Aha!" Derek shouted pointing at her.

"What?!" Meredith called back surprised.

"You liar! Meredith Grey you are such a liar!"

"What are you talking about!?" Meredith started to panic, and gave Cristina an evil glare when she heard her person start chuckling, obviously amused from the show being put on before her.