Chapter 40

Meredith leaned tiredly against the wall and rubbed her left arm. The cast had been off for over two weeks but every now and then a dull ache would shoot through the bone.

"You okay?" Callie asked concerned, bringing Meredith from her thoughts.

"What.. oh .. ya.. fine." Meredith gave a half smile.

Callie shook her head amused. "How's your arm?"

"Fine." Meredith said a little too cheerful, a little too fake.

"Meredith." Callie's voice was motherly, like a warning.

"Really Callie. I'll be fine. I'm just tired. I was here early and still have three more hours left on my shift. It's been a long day."

Callie nodded slowly but decided not to push. A small excited voice caused them both to look up down the hall and see Hanna come running full speed at them both.

"Hi Mama!"

"Hi baby. What are you doing?" Meredith furrowed her brows. It was a Wednesday and Derek would be picking her up from pre-school and taking her to his trailer, but it was still kind of early, he normally got off when she did.

"Daddy's taking me somewhere special!" She said bouncing up and down.

A heavy feeling settled in Meredith's stomach as she tried to smile.

"Th..that's great.. Hanna. Where is your daddy?" She looked around confused.

"He had to get somethin from his office."

Before Meredith could inquire any further, they noticed Derek walking towards them in the hall.

Meredith froze, not sure what to do or say, and Callie watched on curiously.

"You ready Princess?" Derek asked scooping up his curly haired daughter in his arms and kissing her on the cheek.

Hanna nodded excitedly and Derek smiled. He turned towards Callie and nodded.

"Callie." He acknowledged her before stepping past them both and continuing on his way.

Meredith watched stunned as he disappeared around the corner towards the elevator with Hanna.

Callie stared at Meredith with wide eyes as her friends expression paled.

"Mer?"

"I'm fine!" Meredith contended, turning on her heel as her pager went off and rushing off in the opposite direction.

____________

"I was paged?" Meredith demanded, her mood foul, her heart sore.

"Yes doctor. We need a consult in trauma bay three. Thirty five year old male brought in for an animal bite." The nurse filled her in, handing over the chart.

Meredith sighed. She was exhausted, emotionally and physically. And she only had herself to blame for the way her insides twisted and burned.

She drug herself over to the row of curtained off rooms as she flipped through the chart. She wasn't paying much attention as she pushed the curtain aside, stepping in.

"Hello Mr...." Meredith scanned the chart for the patient's identification.

"Meredith?!"

Her head shot up surprised at hearing her name and she took a stunned step back.
Her eyes widened as she took in the man that sat before her on the small exam table. His hair was longer and his mustache was a little fuller. The green sweater he wore looked familiar and Meredith had to blink her eyes, unable to believe what she was seeing.