Chapter 50

"Listen to me Meredith...I'm going to get my kit...please... do not push... whatever you do...just don't push. Breathe through the urge, just blow it out." Derek instructed as he hurried to the back of his car, retrieving his doctor's supplies he kept in the trunk for emergencies. And nothing ever qualified more as an emergency then this did.

He pushed a speed dial button on his cell phone and cradled the receiver to his ear as he searched through the kit with his hands. A deep sleepy voice on the other end of the phone answered after four rings.

"Hello?"

"Mark! I need to talk to Addison! Mer's having the baby and we're on the side of the road somewhere and the foot's presenting."

"Who's this?" His drowsy friend asked groggily, still apparently half asleep.

"It's Derek you dick head! Give the phone to Addie!"

Derek heard shuffling on the other end as he retrieved a pair of sterile latex gloves, some clean clothes, and other items that he knew he would need.

"Derek?! What's going on?" Addison finally answered, sounding much more awake and alert then her husband.

"Mer's having the baby. We're not going to make it to the hospital. The baby's breach, the right foot is already hanging out... I'm going to have to do this now but I need you to get me an ambulance and call ahead to the hospital to let them know we're coming."

He could tell Addison was flustered, but she answered in her best calm doctor voice. "Okay. No problem Derek... are you sure you know what to do?" Addison couldn't help but worry.

"Yes I'm sure." Derek groaned. "Just do what I told you."

Derek gave quick directions to where his car was located so the ambulance crew could find them and then tossed his phone to the side, directing all his attention on Meredith and their impatient baby trying to make its entrance into the world backwards.

"How you doing babe?" Derek asked concerned, seeing Meredith's face red with pain and sweat dripping off her brow.

"Fine...good..." She answered through painful breaths.

Derek reached his hand up and moved some wet hair out of her face, giving a calm reassuring smile for her benefit.

"Everything's going to be fine Mer. We'll have our little baby out in no time." He leaned over and placed a soft kiss on her damp forehead before pulling back and looking deep into her eyes.

"You ready?"

Meredith only nodded as she arched her back in pain, the excruciating sensations almost causing her to black out.

Derek slipped his gloves on quickly as he positioned himself directly between Meredith's legs. With one hand he gently held on firmly to the tiny purple foot while with the other he slipped two fingers up her, trying to tell as much as possible about the other foots position.

He smiled as he felt the small foot in his hand try to jerk free, reassuring him that for now, the baby was getting enough oxygen and they weren't too late. He was relieved to find the other foot was near her cervix, and with very little effort he was able to pull it gently, enabling it to join its pair outside of its mother.

Two tiny perfect little feet, five toes each, protruded from Meredith and Derek couldn't help to think how beautiful they were. He grasped his child by its tiny ankles in his left hand as his right hand rested flatly on Meredith's stretched skin.

"Okay Mer...I'm going to need you to push. Gently at first, let's see what it does."

Meredith nodded and obeyed, bringing her chin to her chest as she bore down, remembering to push slowly to let the baby adjust to the new sensation.