Chapter 28

Mark and Alex were joined by George and Richard as they slumped against a wall in the lobby, opposite the elevators. They had searched and searched to no avail. Tired and defeated, they all reluctantly agreed to reconvene and come up with a plan B. They shared the same expression as they waited for Derek and Burke to join them. Faces sad, bodies exhausted, arms folded across their chests, backs against the wall.

The elevator let out a soft ding as the medal doors began to part. Each man was lost in his own thoughts and didn't bother to look up. When two men didn't emerge from the elevator, Mark looked up curiously.

At first glance, the elevator seemed to be empty, causing the grown man to furrow his brows. He stood up from the wall and took a step forward. Something pink to the inside corner caught his eyes as the two doors began to move together. Mark hurried forward and stuck a hand in, interrupting the meeting of the medal and the doors reversed.

He let out an audible gasp as his eyes settled on the small body of his best friend's daughter, sitting cross legged in the corner. Her face was pale and her eyes were dark and wide. But she wasn't crying.

In one quick movement Mark called out to the other men as he stepped forward and snatched her up in his strong arms. He held her close for a moment as the rest of the men gathered around their surprise find in shock.

They moved back off the elevator and stood staring at one another in disbelief as Mark tried questioning the little girl.

"Hanna... are you okay?... Did he hurt you? ... Where's your mommy?...How did you get on the elevator?"

Hanna stared straight ahead, unblinking. Her face was expressionless and her eyes were dull and empty. The men exchanged glances worried.

"Somebody call Derek, tell him to hurry down here... and then we need to go let the FBI know we found Hanna."

_________

Derek followed behind his good friend Preston Burke in a defeated daze. It seemed unreal. Almost as if any moment he would wake from this horrible nightmare. Maybe he'd wake up in bed next to the woman he loved and she'd wrap her arms around him to comfort him from his bad dream. She'd kiss him softly on his lips and then he'd whisper that he loved her. He'd tell her everything that he'd never had the chance to tell her. That he was sorry for not protecting her. Sorry for blaming her. He'd then kiss her back and tell her that none of this was her fault. She was an incredible mother to Hanna. The best. She was an even more amazing fiancée and he felt like the happiest man in the world to have her in his life.

All of Derek's would of should of's spun around his head and threatened to suffocate him. His regret, his guilt, seared inside his soul. He should have stayed by her. He shouldn't have walked off like he had. He should have told her how much she meant to him. Both her and Hanna. Bleak terror settled in as he realized that now he'd probably never have the chance.

Burke's phone rang, the shrill sound echoing in the silent hallway as they walked towards the elevator. Burke pushed a button and held it to his ear, mumbling a greeting that Derek didn't bother paying attention to.

He was lost in his own engulfing sorrow and didn't look up until he noticed Burke holding his phone out for him to take. Derek looked at him questioningly to which Burke just shrugged, equally confused.

He held the small device up to his ear. "Yes?"

"Derek." He recognized the voice immediately, his best friend of over twenty years.

"Mark? What's going on?" Derek's heart pounded in his chest as he reached out to grab something to stable himself on. He gripped the phone tight and clenched his empty fist as he braced himself for the worst.