Chapter 22

"So have you guys set a date yet?" Izzie asked over her shoulder as she carefully placed the pan of breaded chicken breasts into the heated oven. She quickly peeked in a simmering pot on the stove and stirred it once before replacing the lid and joining the rest of the girls at the wooden kitchen table.

Meredith shook her head in the negative, not looking up from one of the many bridal magazines that now lay scattered across the table.

"How about this one Meredith?" Addison held a photo up of a dark haired woman in a fluffy green bridesmaid dress.

"No way." Cristina butted in. "You're my best friend Mer, but I might have to kill you if you make us wear that."

The women laughed together at Cristina's obvious revulsion to the dress.

"I don't know Addie. I kind of want to keep everything simple. My dress, your dresses, the ceremony. Just....simple."

Addison nodded understanding, and replaced her glasses on her nose as she turned back to the magazine, determined to find something Meredith would like.
Meredith sat back and stretched her back. It felt good to just sit with her friends and laugh and be normal for a Sunday afternoon. She wasn't scared, she wasn't watching over her shoulder. She wasn't going crazy thinking about Hanna and if she was safe, every five minutes.

Her daughter's giggles drifted in the kitchen from the front room where she was sitting with the men watching a game of football. It was George and Callie's first social visit since the birth of their son almost two weeks ago, and George had offered to hold their new baby so Callie could visit with the girls.

It was love at first sight for Hanna and she hadn't moved more than a foot away from the dark haired bundle of joy all afternoon. She currently sat pressed against George's side, gazing at the baby, repeatedly asking George when he was going to wake up.

"So how's the stalker thing coming?" Cristina asked in the way only Cristina could, making the question sound no different than if she were asking how the weather was.

Meredith leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table. She sighed, "Fine, I guess. Security has been beefed up around the hospital and Derek is constantly hovering over my shoulder. But, it's just...."

"You still think it has something to do with Mr. Luckabee?" Callie asked from the far end of the table.

Meredith shot a cautious glance at the door way before nodding.

"I still don't get why you won't tell Derek. You're being weird." Izzie spoke matter of factly, taking a long drink from her cold soda.

"No. Not weird Iz. I'm being careful is all. I just don't want him to do anything irrational, and you know Derek will. I just... want to be careful." She repeated. "If there was just some way I could find out something about his past... where he came from. Get some dirt." Meredith scoffed, knowing she honestly didn't have the means for anything like that.

"You know... you can do a background check on almost anyone. You just need a few pieces of information on Luckabee... birth date, social, driver license number... and you can basically find out everything about the last fifteen years of his life."

Callie supplied nonchalantly, turning back to the closest magazine that was opened in front of her.

The other four pair of feminine eyes stared back at her, shocked at the information she had just shared.

After a moment of silence, Callie looked back up to find everyone still watching her unbelieving.

"What?" Callie asked innocently. "It's only my second week of maternity leave and I was growing insanely bored. It's amazing the things you can find on the internet."