Chapter 26

Meredith's phone went off, the chirping of the familiar song echoing off the empty stalls of the bathroom. Unthinking Meredith flipped it open and held it to her ear.

"Hello?"

"----"

"Hello?" Meredith repeated.

"Mama?" It was so small and so frightened Meredith nearly didn't hear her.

"Oh my gosh! Hanna baby?! Is that you?! Where are you?! Are you hurt?!... Hanna! Talk to me... please baby..." Meredith's heart pounded in her chest and drops of sweat threatened on her brow.

"Mama..." Her baby was crying and Meredith's heart broke all over again. She sounded so scared and fragile.

"Hanna... talk to me... where are you... are you okay?! Did he hurt you baby?!"

Fear was screaming in her head, she needed to know Hanna was all right.

Meredith heard a shuffle on the other end of the phone and she gripped the receiver tight in her hands. She opened her mouth to call out for Hanna again when a familiar deep laugh interrupted her.

"You son of a bitch! Where are you?! What did you do to my baby?"

He chuckled again than finally answered. "I didn't do anything to your precious Princess."

Anger was growing rapidly inside Meredith, replacing her fear of only seconds ago. "What do you want?! Money?! Whatever it is just tell us! We'll give you anything... just please... don't hurt her... she's only a baby!"

"I'm not after the money any more." His voice was cool and even.

"THEN WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?!"

"You." It was a simple answer that filled Meredith with dread to the core of her being.

The mad man went on. "Now do everything exactly as I say if you ever want to see your baby again..."

________

Derek stepped off the elevator at the ground floor, anxious to find Meredith and hold her in his arms. He had been foolish to push her away. He knew he needed her just as much as she needed him. He turned the corner to the main lobby where he had left her, just as a swarm of men in black uniforms stormed the hospital. Derek immediately grew alarmed as he watched them spread out and disappear down various hallways of the first floor. They were strapped with bullet proof vests and each held big see through shields. Large letters that read SWAT in white were displayed on their backs.

Derek looked around confused for the chief of police or one of the detectives he spoke to earlier, and found them all huddled at the receptionist desk, their makeshift camp.

He crossed the floor in a hurry and joined them at the desk.

"What's going on?!" He demanded.

Before any of the men could respond, Derek was joined by his friends, each curious to the sudden arrival of the SWAT team and frantic activity.

"Dr. Shepherd, we've been trying to reach you...." Agent Mullie replied aggravated.

Derek let out a frustrated sigh and ran a hand through his hair. "Damnit! My phone and pager aren't working... thanks to Luckabee... or whatever the hell his name is."

The detectives exchanged glances then nodded, Agent Mullie taking the lead once again. "Sir there's been an advance on the case. My men have been going over the hospital surveillance cameras and we are now one hundred percent certain that Mr. O'Dandridge never left the hospital premises. He has your daughter somewhere inside the hospital."