Chapter 3: Surprise Attack

Enjoy the next chapter! And when you have the chance, please read down below for information on voting. Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was slowly setting as I walked around the corner to another street, eating a slice of pizza. I saved a lot of money ever since I was a kid. I learned how saving money for the future is important, so whatever cash I earned, it was either from doing odd jobs, self-defense lessons, and sometimes from skating lessons. But most of the money was from my mom for birthdays and Christmas. She never stuck around long enough to know what I wanted, so she gave me cash instead.

After I finished eating, I threw out the remains in a trash bin next to me. I noticed that it was getting dark and I'll have to find a place to stay for the night. Before I came to New York, my teachers taught me how dangerous cities could be in different states, especially at night. I looked to see an old apartment building, a bit rundown but sturdy enough to hold on. I looked to the side to see a ladder connected to the roof. My shoulders were getting pretty sore from carrying around my bag along with my skateboard and helmet.

'Just a little bit longer,' I thought.

Using what strength I got left, I climbed the ladder up to the roof. When I got there, I took the bag off my shoulders. My shoulders felt a bit stiff, so I moved them around a bit to ease the tension.

"This will have to do for now," I said to myself.

I grabbed a water bottle from my bag and took a few sips, savoring the cool refreshment down my throat. I put it to the side as I looked at the city. From here, I can see the Empire State Building and the top of the torch from the Statue of Liberty. Sadly the rest was blocked by other tall buildings.

As I observed the city lights, I thought about what I was going to do now. The money I saved won't be enough to make a living since New York is practically expensive. I need to figure out where I could live and where to find a job.

My thoughts were interrupted by a shrieking voice:

"Let go of me," a woman cried.

I looked over the side to see a woman cornered by a guy dressed like a gangster.

"Give me your money, and I'll spare you," he said casually.

I can't stand by and watch the woman get robbed. I quickly went to my bag and pulled out a black piece of material from the side pocket. Thankfully I wore a long sleeve black shirt earlier due to the cold weather. I pulled the mask over my head, only showing my brown eyes, and I tucked my hair in place. I was given this mask from my graduation, though I did not need one at the time. This situation was a perfect reason. I looked over again to see him holding a small knife as a pose of threat.

'I better act now,' I thought.

An idea popped into my head as I grabbed my heavy duffle bag and accidentally, but purposely dropped it on his head.