Chapter 36

January 19th 2017

Thayne and I had gotten back from Iceland a few days ago and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Meghan had taken care of Atlas for us, along with house sitting.

Thayne and I start walking back from the show, bundled up from the wind. He's checking his missed messages and I'm focusing on not slipping on the ice. He holds his phone up to his ear, listening to a voicemail. He listens intently before taking his phone back and putting it in his pocket, an unreadable expression on his face.

"What's wrong?" I ask, holding my coat closer as the wind picks up.

"Oh um I'll tell you later?" He asks quietly. I nod, worried about what was going on.

We get back and I walk Atlas who, as much as he hates rain, was having the time of his life in the snow. I walk back in and don't see Thayne in the living room. I shrug off my jacket and start to make hot chocolate.

As the machine starts I walk to our room to change. I see the bathroom door closed as I slip into the closet. I change into some sweatpants and  one of Thaynes sweatshirts along with some of my fuzzy socks.

I walk back out as the machine finishes. I take the cup and lean against the counter, scrolling through my missed messages. I finish my hot chocolate and make my way back into our room. I see Thayne already in bed, though his eyes are wide open.

"Hey, are you gonna tell me what that was about earlier?" I ask, going into our closet to change my sweatshirt to a t-shirt. I don't hear him respond so I look back out at him, adjusting the shirt. "Thayne?"

"Hmm?"

"I had asked if you were going to tell me what happened before?" I ask, laughing slightly and getting in next to him.

"Oh um yeah, I just got some bad news." I look over from plugging my phone in.

"What happened?" I ask gently, my laughter stopping instantly.

"One of my old friends died." He says quietly. I lean over and hug him as he starts to cry. I rub his back slowly. We end up falling asleep not long after, me still holding him and rubbing his back.

February 3rd 3017

It was my last official day as Peggy and Maria. I had decided to step down and stay in the ensemble, letting others play Peggy and Maria. I would still understudy, but it was getting tiring after so long and slightly uncomfortable with Thayne having to watch every night. As we took our bows Lexi, who replaced Pippa, gently pushed me forward and I took my last bow as a leading role. Tommy knocks at the door as I finish changing.

"Yeah what's up?" I ask, turning and facing him.

"Hey I just wanted to give you this." He says, handing me a basket of cookies.

"Thanks, what's it for?" I look at the cookies as he answers.

"It's a thank you for being such an amazing Paria." I laugh and hug him. Thayne and I stage door quickly, everyone giving me gifts and asking me the same question.

"Are you leaving Hamilton?" The last girl asks.

"No, I'm just stepping down from Peggy and Maria. I'll still be in the show, in the ensemble, and I'll be understudying the role." I explain as I sign her playbill. She nods and we take a picture before Thayne and I head out.

"I'm sad to step down, but also kind of happy." I say as Thayne and I walk back into the apartment after walking Atlas.

"I know," he says laughing.