Chapter 20

It has been a few weeks of us rehearsing. Things have been slightly awkward between Thayne and I, but I was ignoring it.

We were now just over 2 weeks away from opening at the public theater. Everyone was excited yet nervous. Today was the first day that everyone in the cast was in full costume after they altered the costumes.

"Alright let's run through it twice today, full energy. Cameron let's have you as Maria and Peggy first today. We have people who will be there to help with changes. Fifteen minutes until we start." Andy says and I walk to get Peggy's dress on.

I'm standing in front of Anthony during Helpless when he starts talking.

"I think I figured out how I'm going to ask her." He says and I glance up at him, I had been watching everyone dance around.

"Yeah?" He nods. "How?"

"There's this little music store that we went to a couple of weeks ago, she really liked it. I'm gonna take her to dinner, then we're gonna head over to the shop and I'm gonna ask her there." He finished with a smile. Before I can answer we have to dance away. As we run off stage I turn to face him again.

"That's adorable. She's definitely going to say yes."

"Are you sure? I don't want to embarrass myself or anything."

"If she doesn't, I will." We laugh. "No but seriously, she would be an idiot to say no." He smiles gratefully at me before he has to walk back out again.

I'm smiling at the thought of the two of them as a couple, when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I jump slightly and turn.

"Didn't mean to scare you." Thayne says, standing next to me.

"Oh no I was just lost in thought."

"Yeah, what's got you all happy? Wait that sounded wrong-"

"No no, I understand. Okay, you have to keep this between us." I say looking around to make sure no one else was around.  He nods, looking serious. I lean up and whisper in his ear. "Anthony is asking Jazzy out." I see his face light up as I lean back down.

"Really?" I nod. "That's amazing. They'll be adorable."

"Who will be?" Jazzy's voice comes from behind us. Thaynes eyes go wide and I laugh a little.

"Uhhh that's our cue, we gotta go!" He says and walks on stage. Jazzy gives me a questioning look as she passes but I shrug nonchalantly.

During intermission I'm looking for a hair tie as Pippa needed one when I felt my phone buzz. I pulled it out to see a text from my mom.

Hey, when is opening night?
Everyone here is very happy and excited for you, especially Mrs. Kai, she really wants to come to your opening night.

I smile, I really did miss Mrs. Kai.

              Opening night is February 16th
             I can see if I can get tickets, just
                             let me know how many

I put my phone down and wait, reminding myself that it's not me kissing Lin, it's Maria kissing Alexander.

I take a deep breath and walk out as Leslie starts Say No To This. I kiss Lin as scripted and although it's still awkward, it's better then it has been. I walk off stage and run into Thayne.

"Oh sorry." He shakes his head slightly and rests his arm over my shoulder. I give him an amused look and he raises his eyebrows at me.

"What?" I glance down at his arm, then back up at him a few times before he realizes. "Oh sorry, I can move it if you want?"