45 || wish wash with pish posh

dinner with joshua's mom was very casual, nothing at all like the stuffiness that would have awaited jun at his own family's dinner table if he had ended up staying in his home. the meal had been amazing and jun had a very enjoyable time talking to joshua's mother about her line of work and how she had learned to be so skilled in cooking. jun even found out that joshua was learning to cook from his mother. jun smiled to himself as he made a mental note to get joshua to cook for him sometime in the near future; joshua cooked the chicken they had for dinner and it was absolutely divine.

joshua's mother hadn't been at all what jun expected her to be, which only went to show that you never really know a person until you get to know them. the purple haired teenager had expected her to be strict and demanding because joshua was always so uptight and tough on himself. however, she turned out to be just the opposite. she was loving, leniant, and very comfortable to be around. in fact, in the hour that jun got to know her it felt like she was ready to ask him to basically move into their home. jun missed having a mother who was like a best friend. he remembered the days when his parents were his favorite people in the world. of course that changed when he got diagnosed and they began to walk on eggshells around him because of the diagnosis.

"jun? your mother's on the phone asking for you." jun nodded and left the table, taking the house phone joshua's mother had handed to him to leave and have a conversation with his mother. the three had just about finished dinner too and as jun talked to his mother about staying the night at the brunette's home, both he and his own mom carried the remainder of the dirty dishes at the table to the sink in the kitchen. "that's quite a friend you have there joshua. I'm guessing you want him to stay in your room? I can get the cot and set it up for him."

"I can do it mom, it's in the garage right?" the older woman nodded at her eager son who then sprinted off towards their garage. she laughed at joshua before returning her focus to the sink in front of her. could her son be anymore obvious about his crush on jun? it was obvious enough when joshua went out of his way to sit outside to comfort the purple haired teenager, but now it was just painful to watch. the woman's laugh simmered down into a small chuckle as she turned on the faucet and began to scrub away at the dishes with a small blue sponge that was slowly wearing away.

"is it okay if I help? I usually wash up after dinner with my mom and I want to be a good guest." jun asked shyly, afraid of being rejected by joshua's mother. he wanted to make a really good first impression on the older woman and wanted to be useful. sitting around and waiting for joshua to come back would have made jun feel both bored and like he was a burden, so helping out would distract him from both thoughts. besides, the purple haired teenager really needed something to think about other than the argument both him and jia had participated in only an hour or two ago.

"go right ahead if you'd like, you can dry them." jun reacted happily as he grabbed a nearby towel and began to dry the plates joshua's mother began to hand him. they worked at a meticulous pace that was steady enough to allow for the older woman to observe jun. she didn't want to dive into anything that wasn't her business, but it was concerning that jun had showed up to their doorstep in shambles. there was no possible way that he felt better in such a short time and joshua's mother felt like she needed to try to help as well. "so you and joshua are close friends? I'd imagine this isn't your first time being over at the house, you know the place better than I do!"

"joshua lets me come over whenever I'm bored, which is almost all the time." jun explained to which joshua's mother replied with a quick nod as she handed jun another dish to dry. he looked down at the bowl he was washing and carefully took his time with the drying process. the older woman waited patiently for jun to finish with that dish before handing him a cup that needed to be dried as well. it was while he was drying the cup that the purple haired male bit his bottom lip in silence before opening up his mouth again. "I didn't really plan on coming over today though so thank you for letting me stay. I'm sorry for intruding so suddenly next time I'll just-"