07 || no you're the best here!

jun perked up as he moved along the school hallways to the cafeteria where his friends usually lingered around for lunch. he noticed that the table seemed more spacious than usual, but that observation was shadowed by the worried look on chan's face. the young brunette bit his lip cautious as he looked around at their lunch table; mingyu was working on the hamburger he planned to eat for lunch while wonwoo had his head buried in a novel as usual.

neither really noticed chan's concerned facial expressions as he tried to get one of their attentions. wonwoo, who was sitting on the opposite side of the table right across where chan sat, glanced upwards when he felt the table shift from where jun decided to sit. the purple haired male seated himself right next to chan and slung his arm over the younger student as he focused his gaze on chan's open notebook. "what's wrong channie? you look like you're having trouble there. let me guess, it's that annoying chemistry class again."

"yeah. I was going to start this assignment early but it's so confusing." chan sighed as a big frown made its way onto his face. wonwoo, who was quietly observing jun and chan's interactions from behind his book, felt the need to involve himself in the conversation. the ravenette hadn't noticed it before but now he was well aware of the sad pouts on chan's face.

it was quite the surprise for both jun and chan when wonwoo stood up and migrated to their side of the table, sitting down so that he was on the other side of chan (the side that jun wasn't currently occupying). the ravenette made eye contact with chan, causing the younger student to go completely pink in the face as he tried his hardest to calm himself down.

"I may not be as good at science as joshua is, but I'll try to help." wonwoo mumbled to chan. jun could have sworn he saw the ravenette smile at how shy chan looked. if the senior didn't look flustered by the grateful junior before, it was safe to say that he was after chan had given him a small hug because wonwoo had quite a difficult time trying to stay composed and calm in front of the younger. "thanks wonwoo, you're the best!"

jun laughed lightly as he switched his seat so that he was now sitting next to mingyu, he actually took up wonwoo's previous spot. he did so because he wanted to talk to mingyu, but the purple haired student also had the intention to observe the
flustered pair in front of him who both tried to distract themselves from each other with chemistry work. mingyu shook his head as he chuckled at the two students before handing jun a potato wedge.

"hey where are joshua and seokmin?" jun nibbled on the potato wedge as he turned to look at mingyu. the junior had his mouth full so he proceeded to chew whatever was in his mouth before gulping it down with a sip of water from his water bottle. mingyu let out a large exhale, wiping his mouth with his shirt sleeve and clearing his throat to prepare himself to respond. "they're in the library working on that math project together."

"oh I hated that project. luckily I got paired up with good old wonwoo here! he's a god at all things involving numbers." jun gestured to the ravenette sitting right across from him. the senior didn't even spare jun a glance because of how concentrated he was on helping chan with his homework. it was very evident that wonwoo was enjoying helping chan out with his work.

"speaking of joshua though, do you think he hates me or something? he never really wants to talk to me." mingyu gulped down the rest of his water before both him and him broke off into their own conversation. mingyu was surprised that the chinese student hadn't brought up the brunette sooner; joshua clearly treated him differently than the others and despite jun's high tolerance for being mistreated, mingyu was sure that the purple haired male would question it eventually.

"it's how he is. he likes to stay focused on what's in front of him and you can be very distracting at times." truth be told, mingyu couldn't really tell if joshua hated jun or not. he knew how it appeared to look since joshua always either ignored the chinese male or ignored him, but mingyu liked to think that joshua didn't completely dislike the hyper senior. luckily jun didn't take any of joshua's rude behavior personally so far; mingyu knew that if it were him, he would be emotionally crushed. something about someone rejecting all your attempts at friendship like joshua did did not at all sit right with mingyu.

"so joshua doesn't like me because I'm so handsome it's distracting?" jun concluded after a few minutes of thinking. mingyu had almost forgotten about this naive, jokester side to jun that brightened up their friend group. jun always found a way to twist the overall mood of the group so that serious conversations were seen as comedic. however, there were times where jun tried to hard to make everything fun. now thag mingyu thought about it, he figured that that was probably what ticked joshua off so much.

"uh no, I never said anything about you being handsome." mingyu rolled his eyes at the senior who chuckled confidentially. he was very used to jokes and funny comments like these. jun loved to mess around and joke about his good looks; everyone knew he was quite attractive but he loved to pretend to be overly confident about his looks to make fun of narcissism on a way (if that makes sense?). "yeah but you pretty much implied it mingyu."

"seriously though, don't take joshua's harshness to heart. he has his reasons for why he always so motivated to study just like how you suck at gym." mingyu said everything on his mind. he was concise and to the point and mingyu could tell that jun also had something similar to what he had said in mind because the chinese senior looked up immediately. it looked like his comedic persona was finally going to crack because jun's facial expressions harden as he slowly gazed down at the lunch table.

"to heart, great choice of words mingyu." mingyu scoffed while jun laughed at his joke, he should have known better than to think that jun would have really been triggered to talk about his condition seriously in public. ever since the chinese male had been diagnosed, he had spent as much time as he could ignoring the subject. that was why mingyu wasn't surprised that jun deflected the topic or why others around jun refused to speak about it.

mingyu had barely even managed to get jun to tell him about his medical condition, he got most of that from wonwoo who was basically a living encyclopedia on jun, it makes sense that jun wouldn't want to discuss the topic openly in a public cafeteria where anyone could overhear them speaking. this was just another piece of evidence to prove that despite how hyper and open jun seemed, he was about as closed off with his personal life as anyone else. of course mingyu noticed that, but people like joshua didn't which explained why joshua seemed to think jun was just another shallow high schooler at their school. "I'm guessing he asked you about me huh?"

"yeah, but don't worry I didn't really say anything about your thing." with that, the conversation ended. it was alright with mingyu since he didn't want to force jun to speak about something he was uncomfortable talking about, but mingyu felt a bit bad for not being trustworthy enough for jun to speak to. however, he didn't get a chance to sulk about this. instead he was pulled into a small hug by jun who had a cocky smirk on his face as he reenacted chan and wonwoo's hug. "thanks mingyu, you're the best!"

(spoiler alert: the pair sitting across them at the lunch table definitely noticed jun and let's just say they didn't look too amused.)

= = =
I couldn't resist anymore, I just had to add a sprinkle of wonchan ;-; the temptation was killing me!  also I'm sorry if these chapters have been boring, I promise things will be less boring in the future chapters (wow that didn't sound reassuring at all lol)!!