thirty nine

"Are you okay?" Savannah sits at the end of the bed, looking up at me with concern. Madi, Jadah, and Carolynn sit around me, waiting for my answer.

"I'm fine I guess, I just don't want to do this" I let my head fall back against the headboard.

"Are you scared?" Madi asks from the side, her voice softer than I've ever heard.

"Yes and no. I'm scared for Owen" I fiddle with the only ring on my right hand.

"Don't be, it's Owen, he'll be amazing" Sav says with a light smile on her face.

"I know, I just don't want to disappoint him" I look down and try to hold back my tears. Ever since that day last week, I've had the feeling that he's going to break up with me after today.

"Hey, he won't be disappointed. No matter what happens, he's here for you okay? We all are" Carolynn holds my hand and I smile at her gratefully. I hear the front door open and my heart drops into my stomach. The girls take this as their cue to leave and file out of the room after each giving me a hug. I hear them say goodbye to Owen and then he walks into the room with a small plastic bag in his hand.

"Hey" His voice is soft, everyone seems to be talking to me in soft voices lately. "You ready?" He asks, leaning down to kiss me quickly.

"I guess" I shrug and take the bag from his hand, heading into the bathroom. I shakily pull out the boxes and then throw the bag in the garbage can.

This is the worst test I've ever had to take.

A couple minutes later, after i've washed my hands and capped the tests, I open the door to find Owen nervously pacing around the room. "Done? What is it?" He stops dead in his tracks and holds his hands out in anticipation.

"We have to wait one more minute" I say before sitting on the bed, motioning for him to come sit with me.

"Liv are you okay? Don't just say yes, answer me properly" He says, looking right in my eyes.

"I'm scared. I don't know what I'm going to do if this is positive. I can't do it Owen, I'm not ready" I start crying, wiping my tears away viciously.

"I know you're scared, I am too but if it is positive, we'll figure it out. Together. I promise you that I won't bail or anything like that" He grabs my empty hand and squeezes it in his.

"It's time" I whisper. The tests feel like acid in my hand. I don't want to touch them anymore. I don't want to look at them. I just want this to all go away.

"Whenever you're ready" He squeezes the hand that is still in his and I take a deep breath before flipping the tests around in my other hand, making sure I'm reading it right before falling backwards on the bed. "Liv? What does it say?"

"I'm not pregnant!" I jump up and he does to, spinning me around the room. He sets me down and I attach our lips furiously, feeling like I'm on top of the world. All the stress from the past week has lifted and I feel free. Owen breaks away once he runs out of air and leans his forehead against mine.

"I love you so much" He grins and then splits away from me and runs to his dresser. He opens the drawer that I haven't looked at in a week, since Savannah was going through it. He pulls something out and shuts it before coming back over to me. I see the all too familiar ring box in his hand and my heart rate increases.

"Owen, what are you doing?" I back away out of instinct. Aren't you supposed to propose when you're mistakenly pregnant? Not after a false pregnancy scare?

"I'm not proposing, calm down" He chuckles but comes closer with the ring box. "My mom gave this to me when we went home for Christmas, it was hers from my dad" He opens the box and shows me the small diamond ring. "It's a promise ring, I wasn't going to give it to you yet, I was going to wait to take you out for dinner and everything but right now, this is the most I've ever been in love with you. I know we both didn't want this pregnancy but I was honestly ready to be a dad. I was willing to because I love you and I know we would be able to do it" He presses a kiss to my forehead and I smile at him, tears coming to my eyes once again. "I love you so much and I want to make so many more memories and this is to represent that. To remind you that I love you and that I will do anything for you because this" He motions between us, "is forever baby. Always and Forever"