Chapter 44

"Olatoni" I muttered. My eyes went straight to her tummy. It was true.

I lifted my eyes and our eyes met, her eyes were teary and filled with different emotions. And I was sure, looking at me through her eyes will give the same sight. What was she doing here?

I opened my mouth to talk when she took a step forward and then within a split second she turned and ran back into the building. I stretched forth my hand as if to stop her but she was way out of reach. The others were looking so confused and I was sure they were burning with questions with the look on their faces.

"What's happening?" Mo' was the first to ask. I remained mum and looked at Semiloore's mum, Mrs Temi, I had just gotten a good look at her, for sure Semiloore was the replica of her mum.

"I don't know what is going on here. But can we go inside?" She asked.

"Sure" I muttered as we filed inside the building. Semiloore and Mo's questions filling my ears. We sat down on getting to the living room.

"Who's that girl?" Semiloore asked again.

I rolled my eyes and answered, "That's Toni".

" What?!" The two exclaimed Semiloore's mum had gone to the kitchen to get us snacks. A thousand question followed that and I couldn't help but stare at the stairs so I could as Olatoni a thousand questions too.
Where had she been? Why did we have a fallout? How did she get pregnant?
So many questions. But right now all I wanted to see was her face. And her weak, lazy gaze. I didn't know how much I missed seeing them until I saw her earlier.

"Okay girls, here's some coated peanuts for you guys", Semiloore's mother said placing the smooth-coated peanuts on the table and a jug of juice with glasses.

" Mum. Who was that?" Semiloore asked?

"Oh. You mean Olatoni. She's the girl I told you about", She responded taking her seat. " I'm surprised to know your friend knows her".

"How did you say you met her", Shemmy asked again.

" I told you about that already, what's the need for all these questions that you know the answer for. Why not allow me to ask questions I desire to get an answer to ", She said and faced me.

" Dearie, Remind me of your name. And how you know Toni!"

"My name is Jemima. And I'm To...", I attempted to say but was cut short by the woman.

" Wait! You are Jemi. Toni's only friend?", She asked.

"Yes, that's right ma. I haven't seen her in months and seeing her now means a lot to me. I didn't know I could ever get to see her again",

" Jemima? Let me get her", She said and stood up, I followed and stood up also. "Toni! Toni!" She called and continued calling as she rushed up the stairs. After a while, she came down without her, looking panicked and worried. "I can't find her anywhere!", She announced.

" What!" I exclaimed. Where was Toni? I was trying so hard not to give the imagination I was having a second more to stay in my head.

"She's not in her room and other rooms. Where could she be!" Semiloore's mother stuttered? The worry was very obvious on her face, and I tried to look more worried about the way she looked so concerned.

"Have you checked outside?" Semiloore asked. Her mom rushed to the back door and everyone followed her. We walked around the big compound calling her name. Stopping on my tracks after seeing her seated on a small seat at a corner.

I was first to sight her, but Mo' called out first.

"Why did you leave the house and why didn't you answer when I called", Mrs. Temi asked angrily.

Toni's face was down and no one could see she was crying until she lifted her head. Nurse Temi rushed to her and pulled her up. Holding her tightly like her life depended on it.

Memories of the times we had spent as best friends travelled through my mind. Tears formed as I watched my best friend in tears with a bigger body and tummy. How did we get here? How could many things change just within months?

I had to admit I missed her! How could I have been so clueless about her wellbeing? I had been so angry because of her attitudes to me at the hospital I refused to check up on her definitely when she needed me most.

Maybe she was raped. Or abused by one of her useless aunts relatives. That could have caused this. Oh, what trauma she most have been through. And I was no where near, I was not the shoulder she could cry on.

•••

Toni looked at Jemima as she continued to soak nurse Temi's clothe with her tears. She looked the same as she did earlier when she saw her, and how she had always looked over the years. PERFECT!

Toni cried the more with the realisation that she had envied her so called best friend all these years. To the point she felt inferior to her.

Remembering the days when they first met. Jemima was that kind of girl who was outspoken. Like the perfect little cute girl you would want to hang out with. The first day they met was one Toni could never forget. It was her first time in the children's camp and she was being bullied by the 'big girls ' in church. The played with the bucket she was asked to fetch water in. They made her run  after them while they teased her. Toni had started crying at this point. Until her superhero appeared.

She was dressed in a beautiful white gown, with Yellow shoes and pretty yellow bows on her natural hair.

The angel collected the bucket, fetched the water and gave it to her. It was something Toni would never forget. Jemima, the hero in white offered her friendship. Ever since then, Jemima had been her personal super hero.

Years passed by, and Jemima remained her only friend. They were way too different and people wondered how they were so inseparable. It was so obvious Jemima was the one making so much effort to keep the friendship. And people felt she didn't deserve being her friend.
Many people had bad mouthed her in front of Jemima, just to spoil the friendship. But Toni had remained Jemima's best one.

How could it be heard that she had been Jealous and envious of her own Best friend all this while. And she had wished a million times to live her life.

MIFE HERE AGAIN!

HOW WAS THIS CHAPTER?

HOW DOES IT FEEL KNOWING TONI HAD BEEN JEALOUS OF JEMI ALL THIS WHILE?

DO YOU THINK THAT WAS THE REASON FOR THE ONESIDED FIGHT THEY HAD SOME CHAPTERS BEFORE.

A QUICK ONE.

HAVE YOU EVER FELT JEALOUS OF A DUO BEFORE? LIKE YOU LIKE ONE OF THEM AND DISLIKE THE OTHER BECAUSE OF THAT?

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF BESTIE SNATCHER?🤣🤣🤣

Let's talk okay.

LOVE YOU ❤❤❤