Chapter 2

3 months earlier...

I walked briskly, down the road leading to the church, any other day I would have been in the car driving with my dad, but not today, he was out of town with my mum on a Christian retreat.

The realization I would be going out alone made me excited, but now, my excitement was soaked in rain. My whole body was drenched and I wondered how I would stand with my usually confidence and poise to render my Spoken word art and the song I planned to sing afterwards.

I hastened my steps, as though it would keep me from reaching the freezing point. My mind drifted to the fact that they might not be anyone to render a spoken word art to any way. I mean, will people attend the program with the way it had rained cat and dog earlier in the day?

So I thought...

As I drew closer to the building, I noticed a car drive past me. And It stopped a little distance away from me. When I noticed the people in the car, my heart leaped for Joy.

My best friend was in the car. Pastor Dennis was driving. I observed the people in the car and I saw someone unfamiliar. I jogged towards them as Pastor Dennis honked at me. I met smiling faces as the door swung open, allowing me in the back seat.

"Good afternoon sir" I greeted Pastor Dennis

" Daddy's girl, afternoon dear" he replied " I'm so sorry for the inconveniences the rain might have caused you, that's why I try not to fix programs around this time for you teenagers" he continued " but what can we do this is the time you guy's are available".

" No problem sir" I managed to say, as I tried hard to hold tight the urge to burst into laughter. The girl at my side was tickling me hard.

Typical Toni

"Is that your perfect way of greeting me" I asked her feigning annoyance.

" Abeggiiii" she replied giggling " I missed you so much" she added holding me tight by the waist.

Olatoni, my best friend for over 7 years. I remembered the first time we met, she had come to stay with Pastor Dennis after her parents died. We bonded so quickly as we attended the same school and also the same church. Alot of people questioned our closeness,we were glaringly opposite. I was the fun extroverted one, with many things going on for me, while she was the quiet easily bullied type. I tried over the years to pull her out of the shell she created for herself but it never worked. There wasn't much you could expect from a girl who lost her entire family at the age of 9.

I loved her that way, and always stood up for her whenever she was being bullied. I was always with her, sometimes I felt bad thinking I was not allowing stand up for herself. I wondered how she coped now, we weren't in the same school and also not in the same church anymore. It's been four months since I last saw her. And the look in her eyes now spoke volumes.

"I missed you too" I replied with a smile plastered on my face.

She sighed deeply any placed her head on my shoulders.

           • • • • •

"They told me my life was meant to be a living sacrifice. They made me understand I had to be born again. I listened to different teachings everyday, every single one repeating every single thing every single time. I tried to understand but no I couldn't. How could I be a sacrifice without being dead or wait why does a religion that preaches life want a sacrifice in the first place,  or am I supposed to get back to my mother's womb to be born again? I thought about brother Nicodemus and wondered if he actually got a clear answer for his question that night, if only I could meet him, I'll definitely share my thoughts with him, at least he felt like this before. I wondered and wondered. Thought and thought. I asked a lot of questions but no one seemed to have the answer I desired. I got tired and went on with my life but felt something missing I felt a void, something just wasn't right. I needed an answer, that will answer all my questions that needed answers. I thought about life, what was the reason for life, why am I here. I decided to meet the cleric another day, this last day. But far from it I would be spending my time in the presence of God sooner than I expected. It came as fire, no as wind, I think it's water. I can't really say, I felt overwhelmed by his presence. I couldn't but scream how much I needed to meet him,how much I needed him to answer my questions and I needed to experience what the believers were experiencing. I heard a voice like that of rushing of many waters, the words formed and I heard his voice call my name. I couldn't but scream I was slain under the anointing. All my questions were answered and I had a reason to to live for him. Because he is everything,every single thing. He died so I could live, and I have to die to sin so he can live through me. Oh yes, I understand,I died and I'm born again into the family of God, my body is a living sacrifice offered and surrendered so Christ can live through me. I have my answers, and now I live by them."

I gasped as I looked at the crowd, who would have thought teenagers would turn out to this much when it rained so heavily. I said a quick prayer of appreciation in my heart as I observed that people were still taking in the words I just spoke.

I loved to write and also talk, being a spoken word artist meant the world to me, were I could use my talent for God. I was also celebrated by Teenagers of my church across Nigeria, that was one reason why I was invited to the program. It was a gift from God and I was so grateful for it.

I looked up and started singing, many people told me I had an Angelic voice but I hadn't thought about the possibility of me being a minister in songs.

I sang the popular Travis Greene's song, You made a way. Half way to the end of the song, I could feel the presence of God, I opened my eyes only to see people under the anointing. It was an amazing sight.

I sang the song longer than I planned, and has I stepped down walking back to my seat, eyes were on me I could have tripped and fall.

        • • • •

"That was an amazing rendition, my Mummy G.O" Toni said as I sat on my seat beside her. Mummy G.O was her nickname for me, only her could call me that without me protesting. Any one who me that would have me to argue with. As a daughter to ministers I knew there was more to the life everyone thought we lived. My family was respected and loved, but it wasn't as expected internally. And from a very tender age I desired to serve God without attention from anyone, that was before I started the spoken word art though.

"Thank you ma'am" I replied her. " I didn't think people will turn up this way"

" You know, teenagers in this zone really love God" she replied me. Her eyes fixed on Pastor Dennis who was now asking people to applaud me.

The applause lasted for a while and it made me feel shy. After it ended, I turned to Toni.

"How's this Church?" I asked her, every since she left my Church headquarters, she didn't talk much about her new church. And I thought she might be feeling out of place.

"It's okay" she said "I made new friends already".

"Okay" I muttered "And how's home" I added.

" Don't wanna talk about it"

" Okay" I knew better than to push it any further.

"You know what" she said "when the programs over we'll introduce you to my friends" she said grinning

" I'd love to ma'am" I replied, turning my eyes back to Pastor Dennis. All I could do was wonder what happened in their home this time.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Hello guys

So this is the second chapter and I'm taking you guys back in time 😂😂😂

I guess we should look forward to the friends that Toni will be introduced to our Jemi.

Thanks guys.

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts.

Byeeee 🤗

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •