Chapter 3

Bible quizzes and competitions where my high point I'm every teenagers program, I always came first in any Teenagers quiz competition in The Savior's Church, Ondo state branch, even at the national I wasn't easily won. I took pride in being the best at many things and this was inclusive. I couldn't stand losing in any competition, but my winning streak was about to be broken that day.

"Madam, take it easy on them this time abeg" Toni said.

I smirked, sensing pride lurking inside of me and said " I only do my best" I said, staring at Nifemi, the Teens president as he was about to start calling names of competitors in the game. "Or would you want me to be less of myself?" I asked looking back at Toni with a sheepish smile.

"No I wouldn't" she said "I'm proud of you, go make Jesus proud too" she said pulling my braids playfully.

I smiled in return.
-

-

-

"Olafisoye Maria" Nifemi called out. I looked in the direction her eyes were and saw Maria walking out.

Maria, we used to be close friends but we drifted apart. I tried many times to restore the relationship but nothing worked. I stared at the petite girl taking her sit at the podium and started weighing my chances against her, as I always did in all my competitions. She wasn't going to be much of a problem, she knew little about church history, I was sure of that.

Many other names were called and I didn't feel anything near nervous, until Nifemi mentioned a name I wasn't familiar with.

"Olusegun Ephraim"

The name itself made me wonder who the person could be, Ephraim wasn't the most popular name out their. I almost turned back to look for who this person was when he walked past me. He had been sitting at our back ever since. The smell of his cologne lingered as he walked away. I had this look of  "who is this guy on my face" and I guessed Toni noticed.

" Ephraim" she started " He just joined us, seems his parents just moved here from Lagos"

" Oh" I sighed " was he in the car earlier?" I asked her.

" Yeah, we picked him cos of the rain, pastor Dennis wanted him here at all cost, I don't know much about him, he is as quiet as I am".

"Oh okay" I didn't know why but I had started feeling nervous. I felt a sizzling sensation in my stomach that I didn't like.

"And lastly we have, Adewale Jemima"
-

-

-

° ° ° °

We were on the fifteenth round and we were already down to three. If it were a normal day and under normal circumstances. We should have been down to two, Ikechukwu Daniel and me. Daniel would have fought hard but he would have eventually lost making me the winner, me Jemimah. But no, someone was with us, someone I couldn't even bear looking at his face for the fear of him seeing my nervousness and fear.

I had a winning streak, I had never lost a quiz competition, I was praying silently in my heart trying to ask the holyspirit to help me win. But it seemed my best friend had gone for a lunch break.

Silly me...

-

-

-

Five rounds gone again and Daniel had dropped out. This wasnt happening, who was this Ephraim guy, he couldn't know the Bible more than me, could he?