Chapter 16

God is intentional...

His response shocked me, but by that time, I was already standing by the door of my Dad's car.

"Good evening Dad" I greeted as I opened the door and entered. I didn't get a response but rather, my Dad was already catching up with Ephraim. After five minutes and a bank transfer, we were ready to leave. My Dad started the car but didn't move, instead he watched the obviously exhausted Ephraim walk away.

" Jemi" he started, still not turning to face me.
I muttered a 'sir' as I stared at the phone in my hands.

" You had never been out on your own before, didn't you know I would be worried?" He asked but I had turned mum, unable to say a word.

" You should ask for permission next time" he said as he started moving the car. I didn't say a word after, I couldn't even lift my head. " I'm sorry Jemi" he said after few minutes of silence. " I'm really sorry, I know you don't want to be near me right now, and I understand. I understand why you took the initiative to leave home without me. I understand, I'm a jerk, a liar, yes I know. I don't deserve you and your mom, I don't, I'm sorry Jemima" I felt tears form in my eyes, as my throat heat up, I was at  the brink of tearing up with each word he said with pain.

" Will you do it again?" I asked breaking the silence. "Dad, will you?" I lifted up my eyes to look at my dad's face, his eyes weren't stable and he seemed to not be composed. He swerved the car to the other side of the road as the car came to a halt.

I searched his eyes, hoping and praying his response would make me smile for real this time.
" Will you see Monica again?" I asked again. "Dad please?".

" You'll be staying in the hostel from now on Jemi. I think you need to be among students like you". I was stunned to say the least, his words seemed unbelievable and I had to process them over and over again before I could comprehend what he was saying.

"Huh??" I sighed.

" Yes Jemi, it's time to leave home "

I walked into the house still confused about what my dad had said. A part of me was curious about the next turn my life was about to take, while the other was so so worried. From the look of things, it didn't seem like my Dad was ready to stop seeing Monica, and I was really angry and upset with him.

My mum was still locked up in her room, my Dad had gotten the spare key, and was walking into her room. I followed closely, my Dad well aware that I was following. He didn't bother about that,  well I was leaving home in a few days, I might as well feed my eyes and curiosity.

" What are you doing here" My mum asked glaring at my Dad, her eyes swollen and wet. I stood by the door, watching them quietly.

My dad went on his knees, his hands clasped together. He watched his wife closely, indeed within hours, my mom had become a shadow of herself. She possibly hadn't had anything to eat, and she looked dirty and unkempt.

" Derin" My Dad started, my mum rolled her eyes as she made a move to leave. " Derin please wait"  he pleaded.

My mum sat back probably imagining in her head what all this was about. He probably wanted to apologise again.