Chapter 11

I hurried out of my dad's car and entered the hospital, my Dad following closely behind. I walked towards the receptionist as we entered the hospital. The usual hospital smell hitting our nostrils, I opened my mouth to ask for Toni's ward number but my Dad was faster.

"Hello ma'am" My Dad said with a smile on his face. A smile enough to ease the disturbance in my heart for a while.

"Good evening sir, how may I help you" the Nurse at the reception asked, her lips giving way to her white teeth as she spoke.

"We are here to see Olatoni Olaonipekun" My Dad replied.

After a short time of going through her files, she lifted her head and directed us to Toni's ward, the smile not leaving her face.

My Dad and I walked away, taking occasionally turns as we were directed. My heart ached to see Toni, and It had been like that since Damilare told me about her being admitted to the hospital few hours ago. It dawned at me that I didn't even tell Dare I would be going later in day. After I called my Dad who was already aware of the sad development.

There was no way I could go with him anyways, my Dad wouldn't want to see me introducing a 'guy' to him, talk less of asking him to drive us to see a sick friend.

I definitely wasn't in for interrogations, weird mood changes, funny face expressions and unnecessary scolding and lectures my Dad was definitely going to dish out to me. He didn't even know any other friends of mine except Toni, not like he expects me to have any other friends anyways.

I wondered what it would be like when I get to introduce him to Mo' and Semiloore. I chided myself immediately.
My Dad was definitely going to give them that, 'Who are you to be my girl's friend ' face. And then start the question time, asking random and unnecessary questions. And possibly preach to them at the end of the day.

I had had to face that many times while I was younger, but then, I'm grown now. And over the years, I hadn't actually had any friends apart from Olatoni. Anne was the regular customer of that kind of situation, she was the one with plenty friends and the one that didn't really care about people's opinions about her decisions, not even Dad.

Olatoni, I feared for her, what she was putting up with, how she was denying herself of the freedom from her aunt's wickedness.
But then, I could only rant and give advices, it's her life and her decisions to make.

My Dad turned the Doorknob and the door swung open. And we entered the room, it had three beds in, I glanced through and saw Toni on the last bed at the other end of the room. I scurried towards her, Anita was there with her.

Anita was pastor Dennis' little sister, Toni's aunt. She used to live with Toni and her family when her parents were alive. Toni was really fond of her, she was young and very relatable, Toni once told me the most important people in her life are just three, Pastor Dennis, Anita and me. That made me very happy.

Anita always came to the Dennis' house when she was on school break. This was definitely one of those.

"Anita" I called out to her, excitement visible in my voice. I walked closer to were she was sitting and drew her into a hug.

"Jemima, how do you do, it's been a while" she said as I broke the hug. I sat beside Toni as I stared at her face, she was sleeping.

"What happened?" I asked Anita, concern writing boldly on my face.

"I don't really know, I just got to town today but I was told she had a small accident" she replied.

That was what everyone was saying, but I couldn't seem to get over the feeling that there was more to that tale.