Chapter 51

It's been two days since I poured my heart out and embraced the love Jesus offered me at that point in my life. Toni and I had bonded well and we slept in the same room through our stay at Nurse Temi's place. We did a lot of catching up as I told her that had happened, explaining everything to her.

Yes, I told her about Ephraim. And how I feel I couldn't keep up with the relationship. I loved him but there was so much going on in my life. I was scared of what he would think when he found out all that was happening. It was during my conversation with Toni that I remembered Ephraim's father. My father's friend and all that my Dad told me about him. If God could forgive him and give him a new life. I was 100% sure he was going to take control of my father's life and give him a new start. I just knew he would. But what bothers and puzzled me was whether my father was ready to be saved.

Toni and I had prayed every night, and on the last night, the night before our departure. Mo', Semiloore, and her mother had joined us. It was beautiful praying with them. And I could see their genuine concern.

It was morning and Mo' Semiloore and I had packed up to leave. We walked outside the house and to Mo's car after breakfast.

"I'll miss you, my girls. Be good girls okay" Semiloore's mum said.

"Yes ma", the three of us chorused.

I could sight Toni behind the pillars acting shy. It was obvious she was missing us already. And I was missing her too.

"Toni", I called

"Toni won't you say bye to your friends", Nurse Temi said.

Toni walked slowly towards them.

"Abi you want to follow them?"

"I would if I could", Toni said.

"Please who is holding you. Go into your room take some clothes and follow them. Shemmy and Mo are staying in an apartment you have enough space"

"Really? I can?" Toni said.

"Bring my purse when you go upstairs so I can give you some pocket money".

I and the girls were already excited about having Toni with us.

"What about you?"

"Ah... My God. Have I not been taking care of myself before you got here?"

Toni jumped excitedly and rushed into the house but stopped abruptly when she got to the entrance of the mansion.

"What is it?" I asked

"I can't go," Toni said.

"Why?" Nurse Temi asked.

Toni shifted and bowed her head, her face having an expression of fear and disappointment.

"They'll find me".

         •••••••••

Derin was sleeping after being exhausted from her night prayers. After the disappointment at Monica's place, she had called everyone she knew. But no one had the idea where her husband was. Someone from church had texted her about how members were leaving Church when they couldn't find any of them. A lot of rumors were flying around and they kept her on her knees praying to God.

The light from the window shone into the room and she opened her eyes slightly. She wanted to remain in bed until she heard the beep of her phone. A message had entered.

She picked up the phone and read the contents of the message. Her eyes went wide and she jumped from the bed at the sight of what she was seeing...

It was a message from Dele.

" I'm sorry for everything. Please Forgive me".

•••••••

Anne managed to finish her first paper. It wasn't so difficult for her as she had been reading since the beginning of the semester. But she couldn't help but feel she didn't do well because of the state of her mind.

"Hey, Anne. How was your exam" Eniola asked?

"It was okay", Anne said curtly.

Eniola stared at her. She was genuinely worried about her friend. Anne was the liveliest of them all that stayed in the room. And they had grown so close since they were in the same department. Seeing Anne like this was seeing a new Anne who was the shadow of the Anne she once knew.

This person had grown to enjoy her own company, not being able to keep up with conversations and trends. Anne had to fall in love with praying now and then wish seemed like a good thing but was strange. Very Strange.

" Hmm... What's happening Anne. What's wrong, you don't talk about it and it's obvious that a lot is on your mind" Eniola said.

Anne giggle and faced her worried friend.

"I'll be fine... Very soon", Anne said.

" That's what you always say. Please talk to me. I'm your friend. When will. you be fine and what is wrong with you"

"Just pray for me ehn Eniola".

•••••

" What do you mean by they will find you?" I asked Toni

"They will," Toni said as tears threaten to fall for her eyes.

"Who are these they, " Nurse Temi asked.

"I don't want to go home... Nurse Temi. I want to stay here with you".

" You aren't going home... You are coming to our apartment '. Semiloore said.

"I understand you now Toni. You are scared Pastor Dennis will find out you are with me right? You just have to apologize to him". I said.

" it's not just that Jemi. She's going to kill me".

"Why will your Uncle's wife kill you. I know she's abusive. But kill you?"

"Hmm..." Nurse Temi sighed as though she knew something and the tears fell off Toni's eyes.

"She'll kill me when she finds out who is responsible for my pregnancy..... Pastor Dennis".