Chapter 26

Dedicated to Peace_Mofe

" I met you at the Teenagers camp the church organized four years ago. We spoke just once but ever since then I couldn't forget you. But you did, I was hurt when I saw you a day after we spoke and you did not remember me. Years after that, I continued to see you and your sister at every camp, but you never remembered me". Ephraim explained. I was still in shock as I scanned my memory if I could remember him truly, but nothing was forthcoming. Maybe he was playing tricks on me, I thought.

I giggled and slapped him playfully at the back. " What are you talking about? Are you playing tricks now?" I laughed.

" Tricks? Uh, All right. I'm sorry, but it's not true.  I'm just telling you the truth" he said.

" I don't understand how? I met you four years ago?"

"Yes, Jemima. That night, the last night of the first teens camp you attended. It doesn't matter if you don't remember me. I like you Jemi, I do, and I've never stopped liking you since the first day I saw you. And that's all that matters" he said as he stood up. 

" Ephraim?" I called.

" let's get you to the hostel Jemi," he said as he stretched out his hands. We walked in silence until we got to the hostel's gate. Everywhere was silent, all departments had their Mr and miss fresher day today, that explained the silence.

" Thank you Ephraim" I muttered as I looked at him. He was so beautiful in the dark with little light shining, my heart fluttered again and I wished I could remember him as he had claimed. I had met a lot of people in my life, my brain was bound to erase some memories. But not his? How could I have forgotten someone like this, how?

" No problem Jemi" he answered " er, I'm sorry if I made you feel confused and all. But all I wanted to let you know was that I like you Jemi," he said, I felt weak in my knees as I heard the last words. What was he saying, I felt so happy without a reason, a smile appearing on my face.

"What?" I managed to say.

" I like you, like. I like you, you are everything, I don't know why I don't understand but I feel good when I'm around you. You are so beautiful and intelligent. I love you Jemi".

There was no way this was happening, I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. This was the first time a guy, who is not related to me, would say those words to me. I didn't understand how I was feeling but God knows I wanted to hold him tight that very minute.

"Good night!" I said, surprising myself as I ran into the hostel, up the stairs, and into the room without turning back. I sat on my bed as I held my chest, it was beating very fast. I laid on my bed as I started thinking about all he said. I hoped it was all a dream, but it seemed more real than reality itself.

This. Is. Not. Possible. I said to myself as I slapped my face hard at every word.

The department's Prince Charming told me he likes me. I pondered on his words till I fell asleep.

•••••••••••

Ephraim walked towards the school gate quietly, he hadn't thought he would say that much. He just wanted to tell her he had met her before but he couldn't help but express his feelings. But the question now as if he had done the right thing.

He felt he should have kept his feelings to himself. Jemima was not the type to fall for that. Yes, he liked her, more reason why he should not have said anything. He was very sure something had been bothering her over the past few days but he had successfully added his feelings to her list of worries.

She doesn't like me! She wouldn't care. He said to himself, Jemima wasn't just the person he saw every day. Jemima was the perfect daughter of the great Pastor Adewale, she was the intelligent Jemima, who wouldn't want anything to distract her studies. She was the spiritual Jemima, whose spiritual life inspires his younger sister. She was the spoken word artist, the favorite of all teachers and lecturers. She was the perfect girl with the perfect family and perfect friends. She possibly would not need someone like him disturbing and distracting her.

"Argh!" He yelled as he punched his face. "I just spoilt my friendship with her with my own hands. I was okay being her friend" he said to himself.

He guessed she would start avoiding him now, and he would lose the friendship and trust she had in him. She was the type of girl who would never want to be in a relationship, and he had given her an idea that he wanted a relationship which he real sense he did.

He continued walking as his thoughts were filled with what her reactions will be. All he could do was hope.

••••••••••••

It was morning the next day, a Saturday. I woke up from my beauty sleep with a smile plastered on my face. I was feeling all different as the sun shone on my face, as I opened my eyes slowly. The weather was soothing and the light entering the room made everywhere beautiful.

I was still in my full clothes, I had managed to remove my shoes. I yawned as I began to peel off my clothes off my body, I gazed across the room but I was the only one in the room. I wondered where the others were, this made me remember the events of the previous day. Bringing a smile to my face, I picked up my phone as I saw eight missed calls and three messages from the girls. I read the message and it showed they were only asking where I was.

A smile crossed my face as I remembered my discussion with Ephraim, I still couldn't remember how we had met. But that did not matter now, a guy liked me?

It seemed so untrue that someone would like me in that sense. I felt I was overthinking it, but the more I tried to get it off my head the more I get Ephraim's image floating in my head.

I got into the bathroom the minute I was done removing my clothes, I sang in the shower because I was happy, overwhelmed, and a little bit nervous.  Happy because I liked Ephraim and he seemed to like me too, or maybe I didn't? Overwhelmed because I was still all confused about the whole issue I had started feeling all self-conscious already. I was taking extra looks at my body and face in the mirror. I was overwhelmed that by some chance the cutest guy in the department liked me.

And then I was nervous because I didn't know if what I was feeling was right. If I had the right to feel this way. I mean, I am Jemima, Jemima Adewale, the daughter of a pastor and a marriage counselor. I was the one supposed to discourage others from giving too much attention to these raging emotions. I was the one that should be out there praying for my parents and family, I was nervous because I did not understand where I was standing anymore. It was I had lost myself, who I am and then I opened up to who I wasn't.

I had mixed feelings, and I was more nervous to see Ephraim again. I did not know how liking someone worked.

••••••••••••••

" Wetin you dey do for there?"  The voice asked loudly, causing Toni to wake from her sleep. She was sleeping on a used sack, she opened her eyes slowly only to see a fearful looking woman glaring at her.

" I'm sorry ma," she said as she stood up quickly and ran out.

She was sleeping in front of market stalks where she was working as a cleaner. But she wasn't permitted to sleep in front of this particular store, but because of the harassment she was getting in the store she was supposed to sleep in, she had to sleep there.

She rubbed her face as she walked towards her boss' store, he was a scary looking Hausa man, he sold tomatoes and pepper in bulk, and her duty was to clean and help carry the goods. She was late already and she knew she would be punished, for getting to the store late.

" You come late again abi?" the Boss asked her as she entered the store.

"I'm sorry" she muttered. She expected more scolding but it seemed like her boss was in a good mood.

Quick, she bent down and started sweeping, cleaning up the whole area. About thirty minutes later she started feeling dizzy, as she was running short of air. The whole area was spinning in her eyes as she fell and fainted.