Chapter 21

It was the day of the competition, and I was as confident as ever. I prepared all through the nights before that and I said a prayer the night before.

The orientation had been an amazing program, I was able to forget about all my problems and heart aches for a while. The girls, Semiloore and Mo', were great company, we bounded so well during the excursion.

The excursion was one I couldn't afford to forget in a while, apart from it being an adventure, it was one time in my life I really felt free. On the night of our arrival, we engaged in games and gists and I had the opportunity to air my opinions freely without being scared if what I was saying was right as a pastor's child. My class mates were all cool with me and enjoyed listening to me talk, well, except Fikayo and her occasional death glares.

For once in my life, I felt I could be myself. Who I always wanted to be, around people who didn't care about what I say, the way I dress, the friends I kept and all that. They were plainly interested in the real me. The fun me, the one that could stand on top of the hill and scream her guts out, the one that danced randomly even when there isn't any beats, the one that loved to experiment new and weird things. I got a privilege to be me, and for real this time. I was glad I left home.

I stared at the mirror in my  view as I smiled at my self, I was all dressed up all ready, I had made sure I woke up early because I couldn't afford to be late to the hall, we got to school very late the previous night. I glanced at myself once more, making sure nothing in my dressing was wrong.

I wore the best of my clothes and shoes, white and black, the uniform. My natural hair was packed up, shoes shining and my watch glittering. I was all prepared, Dumebi and Moyo were getting dressed too, Fikayo was still in bed, asleep.

I glanced at my watch, it was already 7:45am, and the competition was starting by 9:00am. And our class rep was here, not showing any signs of getting up soon.

" Won't you wake your friend?" I asked Dumebi who was standing near me.

" She'll wake up soon" she said curtly. I sighed as I sat on the my chair, I checked my bag for all I needed. Swinging the bag to my back, I greeted the girls bye and walked out of the room.

I got to the hostel, fifteen minutes later because I had to trek. My legs hurt but I managed, I found a sit in the hall and placed my bag down in a way that joined two chairs together, I kept seats for the girls. I opened my bag and brought out my note pad, I revised my points and prayed. After a while, Mo' and Semiloore joined me.

After some minutes, it was time for the competition to begin. At this point, the hall was filled to brim, I started feeling nervous, this wasn't church or my secondary school. This was University, a university that was amongst the best in the country, where the students were vast in knowledge and skills.

The executives started the program, and the debaters called up to sit on the large podium. I walked gingerly up the podium, catching a glimpse of a smiling Ephraim, our eyes met as I sat down. And in some way, his gaze seemed to calm me down.

•••••••••••••

Ephraim sat in the audience as he watched as Jemima debated, there was no arguing the fact that she would be the best orator in her Level, that was the title given to the winner of the fresher's debate. He had won his set's own and that made him the best orator and also projected him to get into more competitions within and outside the university.

Jemima was a perfect orator, and amongst all the other debaters, she stood out. Her dress was top notch, her appearance had made his heart skip a beat when he saw her earlier that day. Her beauty alone was capable of getting the attention of the judges. She looked neat and beautiful, decent and moderate.

Was it her composure? She spoke so confidently like she owned the stage. She captured every one's heart the second she opened her mouth to talk. The entire hall was silent as every one listened to her. She wasn't like the others who danced round the stage without confidence. She walked at intervals as she talked, each step she took gave out elegance and poise.

Her use of English, not to loud and incomprehensible. She knew the right words to say, as she dished out her well thought out points in good English. She was everything.

Just then Dunsin, the departments secretary, who was sitting beside Ephraim tapped him. Reluctantly  Ephraim shifted his gaze from Jemima to Dunsin, giving him a questioning look.

" Guy, that babe debates like you o" Dunsin said.
A smile crossing Ephraim's face.

"She's good" Ephraim commented.

••••••••••••••••

The debate was over and the judges were calculating the results, my mind went to the applause I got after I was done. Never for once have I experienced so much love and cheers, my eyes glanced through the hall as I saw Maria. Standing outside with an elderly man.

I tried to take my eyes off but I couldn't, the man's back view was too familiar. Just then the president announced that the results were about to be announced. One by one, the debaters were dropped until it remained me and Sade, my class mate, there standing on the podium.

Sade was amazing too and I had to jot down some points she raised while she was debating. She deserved the title of best orator but it would be nice if I got it.

After few seconds of tension and pressure, I was announced winner. I was so excited, and so was the crowd, I didn't know anyone liked me that much. Semiloore and Mo', rushed to lift me up, it was a happy moment. Just then, the man standing next Maria earlier walked into the hall.

It was my Dad, I smiled widely thinking he was there to come celebrate with me. My Dad was like that, he had showed up in my secondary school couple of times when I had competitions, just to cheer me up.

He sat down on a seat with Maria beside him, which made me feel very uncomfortable. That moment, the prizes were being distributed and I had to stay focused. I was named the best orator for my level and there were cheers in the hall. I took pictures with many people including Ephraim, but I was surprised my Dad didn't make any move to be noticed like he loved doing.

Coming for my competitions just to see I win so he can pat me in the back in front of everyone and say 'that's my daughter'. Many people seemed happy for me and the outcome of the competition, even Maria smiled. But well, not all people seemed happy, people like Fikayo who almost fainted when Ephraim came to hug me.

I only wondered what she would do this time.
After the whole thing, I was free and everyone else was going out of the hall. Semiloore, Mo' and Ephraim followed me as I ran towards my dad.

" Dad" I hollered heartily as I ran into his embrace. " I won Dad, you came to see me right".

" Jemi love, congrats darling. Daddy's so proud of you" he smiled.

" Congratulations Jemima" Maria said. Ignoring her, I faced my Dad.

" You came to see me win right? Just like always" I giggled.

" Err, not really Jemi" he stuttered

" What?"

" Yeah, I kinda forgot, but then I remembered when I got here". He muttered under his breath.

Confused I asked " so why are you here?"

" You know, Maria's got some issues with her registration for her pre degree so I thought to come help her with it?"

" What!??!?" I yelled " you came to school cos if her? You forgot my competition? Dad!?!" I exclaimed. Thankfully, it was just the six of us in the hall and Dare who was entering the hall.

" Jemi" my dad stressed.

" It's okay" I said. " Shemmy, Mo' please let's go" I said.

With a frowned face and a broken heart I said goodbye to my Dad and walked away.

This was plain betrayal.