Chapter 42: Out of the Woods?

That's when I saw someone walk towards me — It was Thipat Gunthithanon, Sarawat's father. The last time I saw him at a public event, it was Phukong's 18th birthday where everything started.

"Tine Teepakorn, so good to finally meet you. "

"Uh. Likewise Mr Gunthithanon. How have you been?"

"I am doing good. I just saw you come inside with Sarawat. I didn't know you and Sarawat were so close actually?"

"Uh.. about that... "

Tine's POV

"I guess we are close in some ways? Your son is very kind and smart, if I might add." I smiled, trying my very best to hide my nervousness. I knew Sarawat hadn't told anyone in his family about us, apart from Phukong. And I also knew he had his own reasons for that.

"Well, he takes after his mother, after all. They both do actually. How's your mother, by the way? I am guessing this must be a very stressful time with the elections so close"

"Yes! Only three weeks to go. She's done great work in the last four years and we are hoping people remember that when they go out to vote."

"She has indeed. She has worked pretty damn hard. You probably already know that our company is officially supporting her opposition. But between you and me Tine, I will be voting for your mother. My wife loved what PM Teepakorn stood for."

"Thank you for your support Mr Guntithanon. It's deeply appreciated. Although it would have been nicer if we could get a public support from you."

He laughed, looking down at his drink, but his smile didn't reach his eyes. "I would if I could. But I cant go against the head of the company. I am sure you know that."

"Couldn't you, Mr Guntithanon? Not even for the things you believe in? I heard through the grapevine and that you and Sarawat hold the majority of the shares." 

"Do we? I try not to meddle in company affairs. I am sure Sarawat is good at handling all of that. I am just a retired old man."

"And yet, your father is still the CEO of the company. I am curious to know Mr Guntithanon, have you never been interested in the family business? I am sure the company would have been going in a whole different direction if you were heading it."

"You know I did have a lot of ideas for the company back in the day and I was just so excited to implement them.. but then life happened, I guess?" He shook his head and I saw a twinkle in his eyes that I had seen in my mom's eyes growing up, when she was struggling in politics. That I had seen in the eyes of my businessmen I met when they talked about their business. That I had never seen in Sarawat's eyes when he mentioned his work in the company on the rare occasions that he talked about his work at all.

"But you miss not working, don't you? I can see it on your face you know"

He laughed. "Well, I really enjoyed expanding the company but I was so busy, I hardly had time for my family. I could go back to work now, but Sarawat is old enough and he has been aching to take over the company. It's time to pave the way for the new blood. I am old news."

"Is he aching now? Mr Guntithanon, are you sure if your son is interested in taking over the company?"

"I am sure he is. That's why he is working in the company right now. I know he doesn't tell me everything but he did tell his grandfather that he wants to take over as soon as possible. I have also heard that he is interested in marrying one of our business partner's daughter. Although he hasn't brought anyone home yet officially."