Chapter 44: I will protect Tine

"The Prime Minister wants to see you."

Sarawat's POV

"Ma'am, can I come in?"

"Oh Sarawat. Yes please, take a seat."

"I am sorry if I disturbing you so late. I didn't think you'd be up right now. I just came to see Tine and make sure he was okay."

"You aren't disturbing me, Sarawat. I have just been catching up on some work. Yesterday was a pretty difficult day to be honest. But Tine got through it like a fighter."

"How is Tine really? What did the doctor say?"

"He was unconscious for 6-7 hours almost. The doctors assumed it could be brain damage and Tine might slip into a coma. But thank god, he woke up. His brain scans all came clear. His other injuries will take a few weeks."

"And is-is he really okay now?"

"Yeah. Yeah. He is doing much better now. I think he is just a little shaken. To be honest, Sarawat, I only let you come here because apparently Tine has been asking for you since yesterday. He isn't sleeping and he isn't even taking his medicines on time."

I looked down at the table. Tine didn't tell me any of this. He said he was okay. "I am sorry I should have protected Tine better. I should have had better security around him. The press shouldnt been able to track us so easily."

"Tell me Sarawat, don't you think my son has sacrificed a lot just to be with you?"

"He has."

"Don't you think he's been hurt a lot after being with you?"

"He has."

"So, don't you think he deserves better? Possibly someone better than you?"

"Of course he does. He does deserve better and I promise you I will become that someone better for him. I know I have made my fair share of mistakes. I know I failed to lookout for him, but I will do better. I know now that I need to do better." I sat back in my chair and smiled just thinking about him. "You know, Tine is so perfect. He always knows the right things to say. He always knows the right things to do. I mean, if it weren't for Tine putting sense into me, we wouldn't even be together.

I know your son can do a lot better than me Madam Prime Minister. I am reminded of that everyday when I see him. I am an absolute fool and he still chooses to be around me and love me for reasons that I absolutely don't understand. But I promise you, that I will spend that rest of my life becoming a better person who deserves Tine."

"That's a lot of big promises Sarawat. Are you sure you keep them?"

"For Tine.. I will."

"And you think Tine will still choose to be around you when he learns you are apparently set to be engaged to someone else?"

"I am not engaged to anyone. That's just my grandfather making shit up. I read that article on my way here. I have no idea why he would even say that. There is no one in my life apart from Tine. Not now, not ever. You have to believe me on that."

"Really? You have no idea why your grandfather would say that, Sarawat? Take a wild guess. I am sure you are smart enough to know that."

"He-- Well, I am starting to realise that he has his own motives to do all this. He has publicly supported your opponent and I believe he is trying to throw Tine under the bus to get to you. But I won't ever let him do that."

"Sarawat, I am sure you are a nice guy, which is why son likes you I meet too many people everyday to differentiate the good from the bad. I know that I can trust you with Tine. But here's the thing-- I never, ever want to see my son lying unconscious in a hospital again all because the press wouldn't stop following him. And I don't want my son to be with someone who can't even protect him.