020

on tatooine...

"I don't like the way that guy is looking at me," she whispered, feeling anxious as she turned behind her to voice her concerns to Luke

"Is there something wrong with him in particular, or is he just the first one you've noticed?" came the reply.

"What do you mean?"

"Mos Eisley is full of rather unpleasant individuals. Just don't make eye contact with anyone."

"Other people have been staring me down?" she asked, falling back a few steps.

"Why did you think I was walking behind you?"

Disgusted by what he was suggesting, and then surprised by the fact Luke himself would catch on to such a thing, she grimaced.

"I thought maybe you just didn't want to talk to me," she joked, trying to make herself feel less uncomfortable about the situation she was in. Surprising her yet again, Luke stopped walking completely, meeting her eyes from underneath his hood.

"Did you really think that?" he asked, his expression unreadable.

"No," she said quickly, not at all sure about what had just occurred or why she felt the need to remedy it, "I was just kidding. I didn't really think about it much at all, actually."

He said nothing, the only visible response that he had heard her at all being that he continued walking.

"I don't really know where I'm going, Luke. Also, can you take the hood off? You're creeping me out."

"We're turning right in about a hundred feet. The last time I was in Mos Eisley, I was being chased by the Empire. I'm not risking that again. The hood stays on."

"You're worried about being recognized? I can just dye your hair for you. You can go pink—"

"Absolutely not."

"I'm actually good at doing hair. When I was sixteen, I used to dye it all the time. I cut it myself, too."

"If my goal is to not stand out, why would I want pink hair?"

"Because you're willing to let me show off my hairdressing skills."

"Ask me again when the war ends."

"Does that mean you're considering it? Or are you expecting the war to go on for a lot longer?"

"I don't have many expectations when it comes to the war. I only have hope."

"That didn't answer my question. Just say you don't want me to dye your hair, you jerk."

"I'm not sure if you've been listening, but I did say that I didn't want you to dye my hair, Avery."

Huffing, she crossed her arms, eyes narrowing on a small patch of sand in front of her. This course of action was slightly unwise, and she found herself colliding with a broad, green chest. Stumbling backwards, she was caught by Luke, who seemed to have covered his face a bit more.

"Watch it, tramp," the man she had just pissed off growled through crooked, albeit it dangerously sharp, teeth.

He drew back his hand, and she briefly considered how it might actually be sort of interesting to get beaten up by an alien, but as soon as his palm was about to collide with her cheek, Luke caught his wrist.

"Take it easy," he said slowly, his voice an octave lower than it had been just a few seconds ago.

The beastly creature was only further angered by such a suggestion, curling his other hand into a fist and swinging. Luke stopped it just as easily as he had the first. The man's eyes widened, seemingly startled by either Luke's audacity or his strength, taking a step back.

"I said to take it easy. She didn't mean to bump into you. We don't want any trouble."

She realized then that she had only ever seen her companion like this once before. She recalled a time in New York City, when she had first seen an extraterrestrial who fit the stereotypical description of what an alien was supposed to look like. Luke had shot that man. She hadn't seen him engage in any sort of conflict since they were in the city, which felt like a lifetime ago, and she was suddenly alarmed by her reintroduction to this side of Luke's personality. Like this, he was a formidable opponent to anyone who dared to cross him, a degree of awareness and maturity in the way he moved that Avery couldn't quite process. Like this, he wasn't that boy her former friends had bullied on the bridge. Like this, he commanded respect. She admired him.

"Whatever. Just keep your whore on a leash next time."

Just like that, his collectiveness shattered. His eyes darkened and his grip tightened on the wrist that his fingers were wrapped around. The man cried out in pain, attempting to pull his arm away, but Luke's hold never loosened.

"No, thanks. Leashes aren't very comfortable. I'd rather have him carry me," she said lightly, trying to pull Luke out of whatever corner of his mind he had just entered.

It seemed to work, at least a little, because he released the man. Cradling his wrist to his chest, their offender scurried away as quickly as he could. Luke still didn't move, however, staring intently at the fleeing creature.

Like this, he was an inevitable threat to anyone who managed to piss him off enough, unlikely to be merciful. Like this, he was the man who had once driven his heel into another's open bullet wound. Like this, he demanded, not commanded, respect. She despised it.

Grabbing his hand, she tugged him forward. They walked for some time before he spoke again.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, not bothering to look up at her.

She didn't say anything, instead opting to lace their fingers together. She felt his eyes on her now, but she couldn't bring herself to meet them; she was worried they'd still hold that harrowing glint that they had just a few moments ago.

If Luke Skywalker carried tranquil streams and restful rivers within his eyes, she was sure that they must be frozen over right now. As she clutched his hand in hers, she noted that he was cold on the outside, so he must be cold on the inside, as well. She wondered if, when he got this way, he covered himself in blankets to calm such frigid feelings.

Maybe he'd even wear the jacket she'd given him.

a/n: HE IS ANAKIN'S SON!!! what are your thoughts on luke's momentary slip ups? are you surprised that avery doesn't like seeing him that way?

pretty short chapter today, but i'm trying to crank as many as i can out before this week, as i'll likely be very busy.

if you enjoyed, please vote and/or comment! i've really loved reading your responses, and they've been motivating me to keep working on this story. thank you for all the wonderful feedback!