039

on coruscant...

The aftermath of war was much more complicated than any of them could have ever imagined

After returning from Endor, Luke had three seizures.

The first one happened when they arrived back at the temporary base. The Alliance had gained control of Coruscant, where the imperial troops were detained. Reclaiming the capital city would take time, but they were working on moving their officials and military onto the planet. For now, a lot of effort was being directed towards transferring materials and men.

They hadn't even started doing that when Luke collapsed. He received some medical treatment aboard the ship on the way back from Endor, but evidently it was nowhere close to what he needed. Because he lost consciousness afterwards, and because he still had several unknown medical issues after the fight with the Emperor, Luke had been admitted to a nearby hospital.

She wasn't with him when it happened. She found herself racing down the off-white corridor, the hum of the harsh fluorescent lights buzzing in her ears alongside the loud sound of her crutches slamming against the cold tile. To her relief, she saw that Luke hadn't been alone during their brief time apart. Han sat in a chair next to him, staring at the clock absently.

"It wasn't even an hour. I just—I went to take inventory while they were unloading. We weren't even apart for an hour," she stuttered out, trailing off as she stared down at Luke.

His eyes were still closed, his face deceivingly peaceful as he rested. She reached out to touch him, brushing her finger across his lip, and frowning when he didn't react.

"It happened about fifteen minutes after we got off of the ship. I should've tried to find you, but I didn't wanna leave him with a bunch of strangers."

"I didn't think—I thought seizures...Why isn't he awake?"

Han sighed, scratching the back of his head and looking over at Luke.

"They said it was like status in a tonic clonic seizure, I think. Lasted more than five minutes. I don't know. It's not completely the same, though. They don't really understand what's going on. Never seen anything like it, apparently."

"I'm sorry," she whispered, whether it was to Luke or Han, she wasn't sure.

"What happened?" He asked, finally looking up at her, "What happened when he was up there?"

"I don't know many of the details. He was supposed to go to one of the tank things, whatever they're called. He said he would as soon as we landed. I should've watched him go, but someone immediately told me to supervise one of the supplies transfers, and since I can't carry anything, I didn't wanna be useless, and I—"

"No one's mad at you," Han clarified, comforting her the best he could, "Things were chaotic when we landed. I'm sure you thought you'd be right back. It's okay. He wouldn't be mad at you for it, yeah?"