022

in the kenobi residence...

"I'm glad you're here," he said several minutes later

"Yeah," she whispered in response, "Look at us. A couple of self-critical pals sitting on a dead guy's bed together."

"Pals," he repeated back to her, dissatisfied with the word.

He couldn't explain why, but it sounded wrong.

"Or, y'know, whatever."

"Whatever?"

"Yeah; acquaintanceship, friendship, parasitic relationship—"

"Only if you're admitting to being the parasite."

"Hell yeah, I'm the parasite. You're the host. I feed off of your blood."

"I'd rather have you not suck my blood."

"No? Some people are into that, y'know."

"I'm afraid to ask."

"I'm gonna make you watch Twilight one day. I'm sure you'll hate it."

He hummed thoughtfully, his eyes closing.

"You're gonna make me blow out these candles? Maybe you're the parasite."

"I don't see how wanting to sleep makes me a parasite. I've had to fly all day. You've just been a passenger."

"Are you calling me lazy?"

"If you can't be bothered to get up and blow out the candle, then yes."

Groaning dramatically, she pushed herself up off of the bed, sighing again when her feet hit the floor.

"It pains me."

"I can see that. It seriously isn't going to take more than ten seconds, Avery."

"Wrong, you can't see shit. Your eyes are closed."

"What happened to being adults?"

She said nothing, walking into the bathroom.

"You got up and you aren't gonna blow out the candles?"

"I'm changing clothes."

Reminded that he probably shouldn't sleep in the clothes he wore all day either, he rolled out of bed and snatched a more comfortable shirt to sleep in. Avery exited the bathroom a few minutes later, actually fulfilling her promise to blow out the candles, and the two of them crawled back under the covers.

"Kinda weird that we're sleeping in a dead guy's bed."

"Go to sleep, Avery," he told her.

"I'm a little scared to do that, if I'm being honest," she admitted, her tone seemingly lighthearted, but he could still detect her apprehension.