009

in the city...

"You came back

"You came back."

It was the first thing either of them had said after their hectic reunion. Luke discarded the security footage and decided to leave the bodies where they were, given that they were all human in appearance. Perhaps that would give the people of New York City something to think about. With five dead bodies on site, surely the crystal and its disappearance wouldn't be the main cause for concern. It didn't matter much to Luke, since he was leaving anyway, but Avery had stressed that the last thing she needed was to be accused of murder or breaking and entering.

"So?" she said dismissively, picking apart her croissant.

Since they had some time to kill before Leia's arrival, they had decided to stumble into a twenty-four hour coffee shop. Luke didn't order anything, but Avery figured this would be less awkward than going back to the hotel room.

"Why?" he asked.

"Well," she sighed, looking up from her pastry. "When I got home, my dad wasn't there. Ian was just being an asshole because he didn't want me running around with you, and therefore thought it was a good idea to lie to me to get me back home. My dad was at a Red Sox game, actually."

"You play games with red socks? How?"

As always, his eyes were wide and genuine with curiosity. She laughed at him and took a small sip of her coffee.

"It's the name of a baseball team. Don't ask me what baseball is," she added.

"Fair enough. Where will you go after this?"

"What do you mean?" she chuckled. "I'll just go back home, I guess."

He seemed to be in deep thought, staring right through her. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, deciding to throw a piece of her croissant at him to dissolve some tension.

"That wasn't nice," he giggled, swatting it away.

"Your senses aren't too sharp today, Luke. Did the fight back there really take that much out of you?" she teased.

"Of course not. I'm just distracted."

"Oh yeah? By what?"

"You."

Her smile faded. She flicked another piece of croissant at him and frowned.

"Don't say shit like that."

"Like what? 'M only being honest."

"It's weird. It's like, soft or something."

"I'm not soft. I'm hard as a rock," he said defensively.

Her following laughter was so loud that it caught the attention of everyone else in the room. She buried her face in her hands and shook her head in disapproval.