038

on Endor....

When Luke did return, he was greeted with applause and bombarded with questions

When Luke did return, he was greeted with applause and bombarded with questions. Everyone fell silent, however, when his feet hit the ground. The stares he received were intense, demanding answers, and she heard him sigh.

"Darth Vader and the Emperor are dead," he said simply, and everyone resumed their cheering, slapping his shoulders and patting his back as he walked through.

Before Luke had arrived, Rebel command had sent down a better medical crew and supplies for those who needed immediate attention. Most of the critically injured were taken off-world, and the doctors offered to treat Avery alongside them. She told them no, of course, and they simply reevaluated her wound and gifted her a set of crutches. She leaned on one lazily as she waited for Luke, trying to appear like she was struggling much less than she actually was.

He embraced Leia and Han simultaneously, his sister securing her arms tightly around his neck. Han ruffled his hair, and Chewie hugged the three of them easily. She longed to be apart of that, but she didn't know if it was a good idea with her injury.

"I'll tell you all about it later," she heard him promise, smiling brightly at them. She noted that it seemed forced.

She saw him inhale when he caught sight of her. He stared at her crutches, then her thigh, and finally her face. He studied her features for a second, probably trying to decipher whether or not she wanted to see him again after his abrupt exit, and she watched him thoughtfully.

"I don't care," she told him, "I just need you."

His shoulders relaxed as he approached her, wrapping his arms around her and taking great care to avoid contact with her injury.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, resting his head on top of hers, "I'm so sorry, Avery."

"I'm not angry with you, surprisingly. I'm confused, but I know you'll explain yourself. I trust you. I'm just glad you're safe."

"Hey!" Han hollered, an Ewok thrusting some sort of mug in his hand, "Ceremony in a few hours, kid. Our hosts want to get us plastered."

Luke chuckled warmly, smiling at him.

"I'll be there. I just need a minute."

"You can rest in one of the empty huts," Leia told them, gesturing toward the village.

"I'll be back in time for the ceremony, I promise. Make sure no one defaces the shuttle, either, okay? I need something from there."

Confused, but deciding not to question him further, Leia nodded. With that, Luke helped Avery get to one of the nearest huts, aiding her in sitting on what she assumed was the Ewok version of a bed. It had framing, similar to hers, but instead of a mattress, there was just a large sack sewn around straw and animal feathers. It was far more comfortable than the ground had been, though, so she wasn't complaining.