𐐒𐐚 10 : unfolding feelings ˎˊ˗

•| ⊱ CHAPTER TEN ⊰ |•

•| CHAPTER TEN |•

❛❛ thank yous ❜❜

It was nothing but the same old routine, delivering food here and there that made you slowly question your life choices.

Not like you've got so many options afterall, you just had to do your commissions for the rewards.

You're currently spacing out somewhere around Dihua Marsh, where Xiao brought you when he was supposed to teach you how to wield a weapon.

The atmosphere in Dihua Marsh is all peaceful, and you enjoyed the calmness vibe it gave off. The wind blew, the leaves rustled along and you closed your eyes to relax for a while and have a peace of mind.

But you enjoying your solitude didn't last for long as soon as you heard some noises from a distance. You clicked your tongue in annoyance, "Can't I have something for once?"

You looked behind you to know where the noises are coming from, and those tiny figures that you see are quite new to you, considering that some are funny looking too.

"What are those? Mascots? Whose birthday is it today?" You asked yourself as if someone was supposed to answer you.

Those figures that you deemed of as 'mascots' made annoying chants that irritated the hell out of you.

Standing up from your spot, you've decided to take a closer look at them and try to make them go away since they were disturbing your peace. Slowly walking towards them, a sudden realization striked into you. You stopped at your tracks and remembered-

"Be sure to be mindful of your surroundings and look out for weird looking creatures! They're very dangerous to encounter!" Xiangling warned you when you told her you kept on wandering outside the Inn.

"They always have weapon with them or worse, shields. So make sure to keep that in mind whenever you're outside!"

"Wait what are they called again?"

"They're called-"

"Hilichurls!" You whisper to yourself in horror and rushed to the opposite way where they did not block the pathway. When suddenly a massive branch of tree ahead of you fell down, making a loud, ringing thud sound that earned the attention of the creatures. The hilichurls whip their heads towards the direction, and they did not notice only a branch of tree making noise, but a figure sprinting away from them.

Eccentric, peculiar noises came out from them, and began to run to your figure then. However, you didn't come to a halt even so, you don't want today to be your last day in Teyvat.

An unlucky occurence it has been, but who knows, there's a high chance the adeptus rushes in to your aid.

Looking behind you while sprinting, you noticed the gaps between you and the hilichurls slowly close and you've never felt so disappointed in yourself until now.

"Where's Xiao when you need him?" You mumbled and closed your eyes, refusing to accept that this is reality and not just some amusing nightmare, really.

You kept at your pace, looking straight ahead on the road, when you immediately felt chills run up and down your spine that made you halt from your minutes of sprinting. Your jaw dropped and slowly turned around, revealing the one and only adeptus you've been craving to see for several days now.

He wielded his jade spear and swung it to the hilichurls, each hit never missing any spot. His moves were so fast and swift that your eyes couldn't keep up with what he's doing. All you know is the hilichurls instantaneously vanished once he walked away from the scene.

Xiao approached you, while you're still fazed about what just happened. "Are you okay?" He asked and held your arm, his amber eyes displayed a look of concern. You could only stare at him and weren't able to utter any words when you realized what you were supposed to do.

"Hey..." You started,

"Hm?" He hummed in response.

"I just wanted to ask ask about the first time we met. Who were the guys you encountered?"

"They're a part of the fatui. An organization led by the Cryo Archon."

"Well what about the day you were supposed to teach me how to fight and you were gone for a while in all of a sudden?"

"There are vengeful souls that reside within Liyue who wish to harm the residents from holding a grudge against Rex Lapis. Only adepti are able to see them and fight them." He answered, and a long pause occured in your conversation. "I had to purge them, or else some denizens would encounter great danger."

Your gaze upon the adeptus softens, as your eyes conveyed of sharing understanding with him after everything he did all these years.

"Thank you." And there you finally said the words Xiao didn't think he'd receive ever in his whole life of spending his time protecting the people in Liyue.

His eyes glimmered, his mouth fell agape with astonishment, as he didn't know what he should do in this exact moment.

And for a long time in his immortal life, the mere two words sent goosebumps to him that he unconsciously smiled from the feeling, his lips slightly tugged upwards from what he was hearing.

Witnessing Xiao's emotions after so many days of him appearing so cold and distant to mortals made you go mushy for the male.

"I usually pay no mind whenever there are some I save without any words of gratitude, since this is my duty, this is how I show my gratefulness for Rex Lapis." Xiao spoke, catching your attention from being mesmerized once again by his beauty.

"But," He paused and you eagerly waited for his answer as you stood still and not budging any movement then.

"Hearing a 'thank you' isn't that bad after all." Xiao continued, his smile grew bigger and he looked at his hands. "Maybe there is something to look forward to everyday." He added.

You were glued to your spot, and so were your eyes to the adeptus. You couldn't see anything but him in this moment, you felt your heart beat louder as each second ticked.

What's most suprising was Xiao felt it too, a feeling he never thought of having even once in his years of living.

˖ ਏਓ ˖

༺ ˖࣪  ∗ ਏਓ ∗  ˖࣪ ༻