𐐒𐐚 25 : thwarted stems ˎˊ˗

•| ⊱ CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE ⊰ |•

•| CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE |•

❛❛ born in two different realms ❜❜

It's too late.

The exact moment flashes in the adeptus' eyes, basking in the showers of moonlight but this time, not in his comfort place. He sits on top of the Mountain Hulao, his Jade Spear beside and gripping on it tight.

He knew that exact moment wherein he felt he wanted all of you only to himself, that's the sign to sever the ties connecting you two. Afterall, mortals and adepti are two different beings separated by the natural laws of the world. One should not meddle with the other's affairs, for they might suffer the consequences.

It is still a mystery why he was drawn to you the first time you met, just as how he had you on your knees begging for him to spare your life. Why did he exactly bother to talk to you the moment you crossed paths with him that one particular dusk? It shouldn't be any different nightfalls to him other than his usual old routine of saving people in dire need of help.

Regrets slowly break through him, wallowing in doubts and negative thoughts that never seemed to stop in his head.

"Alatus.." An authorative voice speaks from his back, a quiet feminine one to note at that.

Xiao sighs and does not bother to look back from who it was. Judging from the aura of the adeptus' presence, it was no doubt that it was Cloud Retainer.

"One could foretell you're mingling with mere mortals." She speaks, slowly taking steps closer to the agitated adeptus.

"I know of that very well." His voice cracks, the realizations, the truths he must face to the very end, why does nothing ever go the way he wants it to be?

Cloud Retainer narrows her eyes at his figure. "And why do you keep on involving yourself with that mortal?"

Quietude resonates within the whole place, Xiao could not even explain himself and the reason behind his actions.

A small part of him wishes to have avoided you since that very moment, but another part of him was contented enough to have some company in his lonely daybreaks and nightfalls.

"All that I'm aware of is it's too late." Sorrow strains his voice as much as it pains him to utter the bitter truth out of his lips.

The adeptus sighs, "Sever your ties and there might still be room for redemption." She simply states. "You're a Yaksha. That's all one would say." She adds, spreading her lazuline and pallid white wings, taking a leap off the cliff as she hovers through the chilly breeze and fled away from the fellow adeptus.

Xiao could not speak, perhaps it was the hard to swallow truth that lumps in his throat that prevents him from doing so. It is not a normal occurrence when he grows fond and a little possessive of who he meets and so here he was, stuck in a hell hole of uncertainty and penitence that he himself put in the first place.

He picks up a qingxin flower beside him and brushes his gloved fingers against its silky, velvet white petals. He stares at it in awe, clearly seeing the fine lines adorned on the flower.

But still, his thoughts draw back to square one, in which he thinks, what would be the best thing to do in this situation?

And so he ends up walking beside the lake of Dihua Marsh, where he brought you supposedly to teach you how to wield a weapon and fight but unfortunately fails when he senses a threat nearby. He swore at himself for how he looked vulnerable in that exact moment you found him weak from purging the remaining remnants of malevolent souls. 

The memories he can't not stop from reminiscing are still clear as crystalline, almost everthing reminding him of you.

Settling on a huge boulder enough for a seat, he grabs a pebble or two from the ground. He stares at the endless horizon, the limpid waters of the lake perfectly reflecting the view from above.

Xiao raises his fist and throws a pebble at the lake, watching it bounce from the rippling water seeing how far as the feeble stone can go. It submerges and rises, submerges and rises until it finally sinks down to the depths of the transparent, glimmering pool.

This kept him occupied for a while, but as anticipated, his thoughts draw back to the same question one more time, what would be the best or wisest choice to do in this scenario?

The adeptus questions himself for the millionth time as if the answer will appear like some sort of magic trick. He racked his brains for answers but only meets doubts and regrets instead.

Never once has he been this baffled nor perturbed in his immortal years once he was freed from grasp of the God that once took advantage of him.

Being stuck in shambles of feelings sure is quiet a lot to take in. Especially for an adeptus whose duty is only to protect the place, never having room or time to meddle with others.

If he really was born only for that job, he wants to confront fate as to why it made him cross paths with you. He wonders about the life he could've lived if he simply ignored you that one particular night.

It's too late.

It's too late to free you from the Karmic binds that engirdled the adeptus. These binds are like threads- threads that you kept on fiddling like heartstrings playing a euphonious tune as you kept on pulling him back to you; no matter how hard he tried to contravened himself of you.

He will hate it to see you being consumed by the Karma. Because of him. He knows very well there's no one more responsible for that than him as he is the one who put you on this pedestal.

He stops at his tracks, ending up at the familiar doorstep. He looks up, hoping this would be the best route for him to choose that would free you and himself of this predicament.

˖  ਏਓ   ˖

༺ ˖࣪  ∗ ਏਓ ∗  ˖࣪ ༻