𐐒𐐚 13 : tranquility and sincerity ˎˊ˗

•| ⊱ CHAPTER THIRTEEN ⊰ |•

•| CHAPTER THIRTEEN |•

❛❛ in your arms i feel the safest ❜❜

The Lantern Rite is ongoing, and you somehow got yourself forget about Xiao even for a short while.

From the day Xiao showed you the cold shoulder, not being able to have a moment with the adeptus seemed to be harder than ever but surpisingly, you were able to handle the situation just fine and got used to it.

Everything isn't permanent after all.

Everything is ephemeral and short lived.

And as per usual, here you are dawdling around after finishing the food deliveries for today. You thoroughly examined your clothes and compared yours to the denizens'. You couldn't pinpoint exactly what makes the accents of your clothes different and unique from the others but a gut feeling kicks in telling you that what you think is right.

How is it even possible for someone to forget their past?

Is this how the past you lived their life?

Dihua Marsh easily became your favorite place to spend some time in whenever you wanted to reflect on something by yourself. You prayed to the Archons to be cleansed from bad luck, just like what happened last time.

Or no, you can admit there's a little part of you that wished you get caught in some trouble and Xiao saves you.

You shook your head aggressively at the thought and heaved a sigh.

Solitude didn't feel that bad for you, atleast you can have something for yourself even for a bit. After spending some time just watching the birds' dark silhouettes fly around in the bright sky, you told yourself you'll find something to take an interest in so your rest hours can be somehow productive and not be a waste of time.

Your destination for now ended up being in the Inn's pantry with Smiley Yanxiao having the same scowl written on his face. He crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow at your presence.

"We're done with the food deliveries." He said sternly and looked at you from head to toe.

"I want to eat something." You answered.

"I have no time to cook for you." He blurted out.

"Can I have the pantry to myself for a bit instead?"

He pauses, but then later answers. "Just don't wreck anything here." were the words he uttered as he left. A smile tugged on your lips upwards, maybe the old man isn't so stingy after all.

Just as the moment that the chef left and climbed the flight of stairs is looked over the wooden shelves. Your eyes scanned every nook and cranny as your sight landed on the ingredient you're looking for, flour.

You walked back to the stove and found a cup of baking powder just laying on the counter. Now that the two ingredients are checked, you proceeded to search for sugar, salt, eggs, milk and butter. Fortunately, it wasn't much of a hassle.

You dumped the ingredients altogether in a big bowl and whisked the batter.

As soon as the pan was preheated, you put some butter on the surface and smeared it all over. You grabbed the bowl and just as when you were about to pour the batter,

"Pancakes in the afternoon?" A cold voice echoed through the wooden walls of the kitchen and you were caught off guard.

"It couldn't be." You mumbled, your posture stiffened and accidentally poured so much batter into the pan, thus it overflowed.

The adeptus slowly approach you while you couldn't budge a movement from how intimidating his presence alone is to you. Not to mention how it's bold of him to talk to you on a whim even after everything that happened.

Xiao noticed you standing still, he proceeded to sigh and took the bowl with the mixture by force instead and settled it down on the table.

He grabbed ahold of a kitchen towel he found hanging on a table as he wiped the batter splodged all over the stove thanks to you zoning out.

Finally regaining your composure and mustering the courage to talk again after a debate with yourself on what you should do, the side whereas you should be cold to him as well won inside you.

"What are you doing here?" You asked nonchalantly as you turned to your right, where the adeptus stands.

As those words slip out of your mouth, he looked at his left as well and locked a glance with your [E/C] eyes. Your orbs glistened at his amber eyes that held you captive at all times, you felt your heart thump three times faster than ever.

"I-I'm asking you." You broke out but stuttered, your eyes still interlocked with Xiao's golden yellow ones.

You waited impatiently for an answer, but instead, Xiao took a swift step closer and pulled you towards him. His left hand holding your waist while the other is on the nape of your neck. Your eyes widened, shocked at the adeptus' actions after you realized this has been the closest you've been with him.

His heartbeat was loud and fast to the point it caught your attention. Xiao closed his eyes and deeply breathed.

It's almost as if your two hearts danced in sync with each other, pulsating along the rhythm of brimming affection you had yet to uncover.

"I sincerely apologize for acting cowardly despite of the growing feelings I have for you." He usually has a demanding tone laced in his words and come off as cold but this time, it was flat out different. His voice was serene and gentle.

No words could describe your expression right now, it's all a huge bundle of mess topped with confusion. In spite of the million thoughts that congested your mind, there was a certain phrase that stood out to you.

"Growing feelings?" You questioned, the feelings unraveling between the two of you wasn't something you expected. You thought that Xiao was so hard to reach since there are many things that keep you out of him, but here he is- holding you tight close to him, confessing.

"Yes, it's exactly what you think."

˖ ਏਓ ˖

༺ ˖࣪ ∗ ਏਓ ∗ ˖࣪ ༻