21•

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
a little comfort and kindness

××××

September 24th, 1558
Catalina

____

After I arguing with Catherine, I instantly sent for Nicolas, and he arrived just the other day, the poor child was scared out of his mind, he has no idea where he was or what was going on, I promised to protect him but I let my emotions get in the way of doing that.

All this stress is hurting my body, u barely can stand up without help, and my stomach is growing each day, I'm bigger than I expected to be.

"Nicolas be careful!" I chuckle looking over to Nicolas trying to catch the dog. I smile to myself and I continue to read my book.

I still have yet to speak with Francis and tell him that I shall be returning to Spain, after everything I can't even look at him without wanting to attack,
The same goes for María, but her fate is much worse, her family found out and they disowned her and King Henry found out that the child was not his and took everything from her.

I did not try to stop it either, she deserves what she has received.

Nicolas walks over to me looking worn out and tired, as soon as he reaches my side he hugs me tightly, slowly falling asleep.

"I am so tired Lina, and hungry!" Nicolas yawns, I pat his head and chuckle, "alright Nic, we can get Victoria to prepare you some food, and then you may rest but do remember that you have French lessons later on!"

Nicolas smiles and skips off near the castle, I laugh at the young boy's behavior, and I began to walk off as well but I hear my name being called and I turn my head shortly only to see the person I hate the most at the moment.

Francis.

I groan and continue to walk, I rather drown than look at him.

"Catalina!" Francis shouts getting closer to me so I try to pick up my pace but it only tires me out even more.

I give in and turn to face him, "How may I help you." I cross my arms over my body already regretting my decision.

"Lina you have to talk to me, " he says sadly, "we are having a child! You can just stop speaking to me because of a foolish mistake I made!"

"But why!" I shout, "why did you have to make a foolish mistake, with my lady! You could have chosen any lady of the court but why María!" I harshly say feeling the tears began to form in my eyes.

"I do not have an answer for that but-" I cut him off by raising my hand, "Well do not try to speak to me until you do have an answer, because I cannot waste my time on a boy prince."

××××

After making sure Nicolas was asleep with four men guarding his chamber doors It was finally time for me to get my rest.

Being with child makes me want to sleep all the time and just push all my duties aside, but as a Queen, it's my job to do the things I do.

Finally reaching my chambers sighing in relief, as my guards open my chamber doors I see Victoria ordering my ladies to hurry up with the cleaning.

I chuckle softly at the sight, Clara is first to notice my presence, and she instantly bows to me making the others notice me as well.

"Your Majesty, " Victoria says with a bow, I smile walking over to my made-up mattress.

There's an uncomfortable silence for many moments, I and my ladies haven't had a sit-down chat in so long, and after everything happened I pushed them far away too scared that history might repeat itself.

"Is that filthy animal Francis still trying to get you to forgive him?" Inés blurts out making us all turn our heads in her direction.

Nobody else speaks for a moment before Susana clears her throat breaking the very uncomfortable silence.

"Yeah, can you please tell us something? You have been so distant, María made a foolish mistake not us,"
Susana says in a soft tone.

I look down at my hands uncomfortable with the chat that is going on, but at last, I know I have to face them sooner or later.

"I couldn't face anyone for so long, one day my world was happy and full of hope, but I found out that my oldest friend had betrayed me, " I explain with a little amount of tears filling my eyes.

I feel my bed sink in making me take my eyes off of my hands, I see my ladies sitting around me with Victoria not too far away from us.

"Catalina you must think of your child, your heir, not Francis or María, they both hurt you and kept it hidden for the longest time!" Clara says rubbing my back comfortably.

"Indeed, and besides, Francis is a fool to ever bed her, and she's an idiot for lying to you this whole time!" Inés exclaims with anger in her tone.

Wiping my eyes I look up to see my ladies comforting eyes on me, I smile softly tucking a loose piece of hair away.

"Some strange part of me still loves Francis, he's the first thing I think of when waking up, it's hard to be away from him," I say being completely honest.

I came to France thinking that getting married to Francis was the worst thing ever, I thought my life had ended the day I step foot on French soil.

But instead, I fell in love with Francis and France, I met Nicolas and I took him under my wing and for some time we were happy in our little space...

"Lina it's okay to feel that way you know, you fell for his charms and his kindness, but he betrayed you and humiliated you!" Susana says frustrated with everything.

All my ladies are angry with María and Francis, angry that they could ever put me through this pain.

"Thank you, ladies, I needed this," I say smiling softly, "I have to worry about my child that is growing inside of me, I mustn't stress myself too much," I rub my small belly bump smiling at just the thought of being a mother.

"We're always glad to cheer you up at any time Lina! But please do tell us the revenge plan for Queen Catherine because I just know you have one!" Clara says smirking.

I toss my head back chuckling, "you girls know me too well," I look at them with a sly grin, "Of course I have a plan," I admit.

I didn't forget about Catherine sending Nicolas away, I'm actually keeping it in the back of my mind secretly planning everything out.

××××

AUTHOR'S NOTE

1171 words.

I challenged myself to finish part one of this book by Monday because why not –