25•

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Madness in the air

××××

May 19th, 1559
Catalina

____

PEACE is a strange thing that not many people can find in life.
Have I found my peace in life? I find myself asking that question frequently but the answer is always—

Heavens no.

I thought I did when I married Francis but do not hold that against me.

Peace is something that a person needs to earn, you need to live your best life so when you are graced with the mark of death then you can die with the ones you love around you as you finally accept peace into your life.

××××

"VICTORIA!" I let out a ground-shaking scream as I finally reach my breaking point.

Victoria rushes in looking out of breath and tired with dark circles under her eyes.

"I've been calling for you for the longest time and you are just now getting here!" I shriek angrily folding my arms across my chest.

"I apologize for my brainless actions but the castle is so busy today and it was so hard to get the children to sleep and his majesty king Henry has gone off the edge so his royal Highness Prince Francis is in control until he gets his wits back, " Victoria explains in one breath.

My eyes widen, "is King Henry okay? Is he sick?" I ask in the most worried tone, I wouldn't want any illnesses to harm my children or put their innocent lives in danger.

Victoria shakes her head quickly. "Of course not, his Majesty is going mad, or for what I've been told he's been this way for a while now but Catherine has been hiding it."

I cross my arms over my chest. "If anything happens to King Henry then Francis will become the King of France with me as his queen but with the way our marriage is going right now he would probably get a mistress and that just won't do, I won't accept filthy bastards running around my palace, " I said with a frown on my face.

I always assumed that Francis would take a mistress and toss me aside and my thoughts have spiked as our marriage that was supposed to bring peace and joy to Spain and France dies down. My mother and father's marriage was the most remarkable and beautiful and I hoped my marriage would be the same but it seems that it is becoming the exact opposite of what I hoped it would be.

And I won't have a mistress running my palace acting as if she's the queen and I am not and I just won't allow that.

"Well is this anything that I could do to help? Anything at all?" Victoria asked with a kind grin on her face.

A smile appears on my face, "I need to see the kings state with my own two eyes, and I need to get Francis back into my grip even though his brainless actions still hurt my heart I don't want another woman to take my place in this country, palace, or his arms, " I explain.

Victoria looks at me with confusion in her eyes. "But your Majesty I thought you and the prince promised to go your separate ways in the marriage?" Victoria asked with her eyebrows raised.