24•

CHAPTER TWENTY - FOUR

happiness?

××××

May 16th, 1559
Catalina

____

THEY SAY you won't remember the pain of giving birth. They lied. I remember plenty. But they also said that it would be all okay because when you hold your child in your arms you would only feel happiness.
And as I look at my two children I feel happiness and many other feelings.

Days have gone by since the birth of my sweet angels, I have yet to hold them with my body being so weak I can barely stand up without help and that still hurts.

I thought giving birth to the first child was torture but oh no, giving birth to the second child put my body through the most.

I bleed and wept, begging God to keep me and my innocent babe alive, and it has seemed that God has judged me fairly and answered my prayers.

Both I and my two children are healthy, but I am forbidden to leave my chambers until my body fully heals from such a painful experience.

Francis allows me to see them almost every day and lets me see them for a while before he has to go deal with court matters and the babies have to go back to the nursery.

King Henry insists on throwing celebrations day and night dedicated to the twins but I just believe he's going a little mad up in the head.

My sister and brother have written with congratulations on finally giving Spain and France heirs. Most of the court is surprised that I and my children have survived such a difficult birth and even some talk of witchcraft, but I just thank God for the blessings he has gifted upon me.

Tired of just laying in bed and being stuck in my chambers I call for Victoria needing to talk to someone that isn't the maid that tidies up my chambers.

"Yes, your Majesty?" She says walking closer to my bed with a smile on her face.

"Help me sit up, and see if Francis can bring my lovelies here, " I order, Victoria nods her head quickly and helps me sit up making sure my back is comfortable.

"Is there anything else I can give you your Majesty?" She asks taking a step away from me for some space, I sigh sadly, I have been confined to my chambers for days, I barely see my children and I haven't been under the sun in so long.

"I'm bored, I miss my children as well," I say with a pout making Victoria chuckle.

Victoria crosses her arms across her chest, "you are forbidden from seeing Prince Thomas and Princess Isabel until your body has completely healed," Victoria reminds me.

I and Francis decided on the names Isabel after my great-mother Queen Isabella of Castile and Thomas after my late father.

"But why not! My body is completely fine!" I whine like a child, Victoria raises her eyebrows.

"Are you sure, " she asks making me smile with hope and quickly nod my head, "I am sure!" I exclaim.

Victoria kisses her teeth and steps closer to me and moves my arms from my belly and she presses down hard on it, "ow! Why would you-" I shout in pain.