My Knight (dream)

You watched over the party uninterestedly, sipping a drink you didn't even particularly like. Someone whose face you didn't remember had handed it to you, and you had taken it just to get them to leave you alone.

Some birthday this was.

Your father was sat, surrounded by important looking officials, doing business as usual. You got that being king was stressful, but he couldn't even bother to say happy birthday to you. His own child. He would rather get all of his servants to orchestrate everything, and make you the sad puppet. You wondered if he even remembered your birthday, or if he was told by the servants.

You drained your glass, allowing a butler to take it away and replace it with another boring drink you didn't know the name of.

At least you looked nice. That was something, at least.

Another gentle waltz was played by the musicians, and you could see the crowd of people swarming towards you, ready to beg for a dance to be seen as an eligible suitor for marrying you. You sighed, ignoring the butler at your side very clearly staring at you.

Suddenly, the music halted, a piercing scream echoing through the ballroom as the chandelier smashed to the ground, glass flying everywhere. As the people started to panic, running and bumping into each other, a hand clasped your wrist, pulling you with them. Dragged along against your will, you followed this person, letting the sounds of people's screams fade away. No one had noticed your disappearance yet.

Adrenaline coursed through your veins as you struggled to keep up, your dress catching on your shoes. Tree branches and vines clutched onto your clothes, probably ripping them in the process, but you kept running, trying to ignore the lace ripping. You just hoped you would actually have enough dress left at the end of this.

Stumbling through a small hidden gate in the gardens, you finally stopped running, letting out a sigh of relief. "You were late."

"Sorry, sorry," Dream answered, laughing as he held up his hands in mock surrender. "George was busy eating profiteroles and I had to pull him away."

Rolling your eyes but holding back a smile, you leant back on the gate. "You're the lousiest knight in shining armour I've ever met." As you said that, you faintly heard people calling your name in the distance. "Oh, I didn't think they'd notice that quickly."

"Forgive me," Dream said, before picking you up easily, holding you in a princess carry, ignoring the squeak you made in response. "You look very nice, by the way."

You blushed, hands reaching up to cover your face. He adjusted so you were closer to him, so close that you could hear his heartbeat. Gulping nervously, you looked up at him, and he gave you a wink, before running even faster. Voices called out to him, probably George and Sapnap.

You were free.