24

I awoke the next morning, however the Colonel was nowhere to be seen, so I just assumed he had already left. I quickly got up, and got dressed. I wore a simple blue dress. I grabbed a book from a pile on the floor, and ran out the door into the halls. I jog through the halls, before coming to a stop when I reach two massive oak doors, without warning I push one of the heavy doors open, revealing what seemed too be a courtyard. It was full of life, with birds chirping, frogs croaking, and pink cherry blossom trees providing privacy. The whole place smelled of flowers, and dirt. With the book still in my hand I make my way toward a tree, I carefully climb up before taking a seat on a branch. I run my fingers over the books cover, while my feet dangle in the air.

"Romeo and Juliet." I whisper to myself.

I open the book and begin reading, I couldn't have been reading for more than ten minutes before the large doors opened.

"Kitty." The familiar voice of Colonel Tavington greets me.

"Tavington." I make fun of him.

"I wish to inform you that there is a ball tonight, I invite you to come." He speaks, making my eyes shoot up from the book I was reading.

"I have never been to a ball." I begin to panic.

"You will be with me the whole time my dear, I have also informed Joan to arrange a dress for you." He lowly chuckles.

"Thank you William." I say relived.

"It is my pleasure, what are you reading?" He questions.

"Romeo and Juliet."

"My mother used to read that to me as a child." He looks away.

"What was her name, if I may ask?"

"Anne, Lady Anne Tavington." He says quietly. "What about you?" He asks.

"Elizabeth Martin." I respond.

"That is a very nice name." He smiles, making me do the same.

"I can say the same for you as well."

"Kitty?"

"Yes?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Would you like to go too the ball with me?" He asks nervously.

"I would love that." I smile.