32

I laid in bed, twiddling with the ring I was given from William. However I am interrupted when the door suddenly bursts open.

"Kitty! Kitty come quick!" The familiar face of Jane says frantically.

"Why, what is it?" I ask while getting out of bed. I throw a white cape shawl over my shoulders, and follow the tall girl out of my bedroom.

"Lord Cornwallis requested for me to get you." Her soothing London accent rings in my ears.

"Why are you here anyway, did you not leave with your mother after the ball?"

"I was visiting, my mother seems to enjoy his company.

"Poor guy, he's probably so overwhelmed." I blurt out. Making Jane snort with laughter.

She reminded me much of a more proper Catherine.

We walk out of the huge wooden doors of the house, and into the yard. I quickly noticed all of the Red Coats that seemed to flock the small space.

"Jane, what's going on?" I ask.

"Look." She points towards a figure in the distance. I scrunch my eyes while trying to see who it was.

"PAPA!" I scream in shock.

"KITTY!" He yells back.

I run towards him, to my surprise he pulls me into a warm embrace.

"What are you doing here?" My eyes begin to sting.

"I came to get you." He shoots me a warm smile.

"Why, you have the children to care for?" I ask, while warm tears of happiness warm my cheeks.

"You are also my daughter, and aunt Charlotte is taking care of the kids back home."

"Oh my, this is wonderful!"

"Go collect your things, I have to talk with the General."

I walk out with Jane, she walks with me towards my room.

"Well, I have to go ask my mother a question." She says.

"Okay bye." I wave as she walks down the other end of the hall.

"Bye." She waves back.

I walk into the large bedroom where I had been staying, before walking towards the wardrobe. I pull out a pearl necklace to give to my sister Margaret, as well as a children's book I had found for Susan. I carefully place them into a leather pouch I had acquired during my stay here.

I give one last look at the fancy bedroom before shutting the door and leaving.

I walk back out, momentarily stopping by Cornwallis' office to say goodbye, however I did not see my father. So I walked back out to the yard.

Almost immediately as I walk back outside I notice my father waiting for me.

"Are you ready?" He asks.

"Yes." I respond.

We walk towards the exit shoulder to shoulder. However before we could leave we were stopped by men riding in on horses. I look up to see the man leading them. It was no other than my fiancé, Colonel Tavington.

I quickly look at the ground, I felt ashamed. I could feel his eyes on me.

He quickly gets off Hercules, and walks towards O'Hara.

"General what is this?" He practically spits at the wigged man.

"A prisoner exchange, he has 18 of our officers." The general answers.

"Who is he? I recognize him."

"The commander of the Militia, your ghost, and that little bitch is his daughter."

The Colonel draws his sword and approaches my father, however he is stopped by O'Hara.

"Put the sword down Colonel, he rode under formal parley."

"This is madness, with all due respect sir he has killed many of our officers in the past months."

"He has shown no aggression here, hence he cannot be touched." General O'Hara grits his teeth.

"Has he now."

Suddenly William turns around and marches towards us.

"YOU! I remember you that farm and that stupid little family." He yells, making my father stop in his tracks, as I turn around and face him.

The Colonel's face was spiteful, it glimmered with hatred, however his eyes were full of hurt, and pain.

"Did you think I would kill her, you know I have quite enjoyed the past months, you would know better than anyone how lonely a man can get without a wife of his own." He calls out once more to my father.

My father turns around to face the man that took his daughter from him.

My father stands behind me, silently guarding me from danger.

"You know, it's an ugly business doing one's duty, but occasionally. It's a real pleasure." He refers to me.

"Father, he has cared for me. Please don't." I plead.

I look over to my fiancé, his eyes burning holes into my own.

"Stop this idiocy." I entreat.

My father looks at him in disbelief, before saying one word that burrowed it's way into my mind.

"Before this war is over, I am going to kill you."