Chapter 1: The day that changed everything pt 1

Maya's POV:

It was a normal Monday morning at the station.

A couple of calls including some not so serious fires that needed attending to.

Waking up early to have a shower to wash of the previous days work.

It was currently 9:50am; Maya and her team were sat down eating breakfast enjoying the company of each other before the hectic week ahead of them.

"Hey Maya, how's that chick you dated a few weeks ago?" Jack asked, as he grabbed some cereal from the top cabinet.

Her and jack had a relationship in the past, well, if you could call countless amounts of sex with no strings attached a relationship.

Jack had wanted more from Maya, something Maya wasn't willing to give him at that period of her life, or ever if she was completely honest.

"Not like it's any of your business Gibson, but we didn't 'date' it was just a girl helping a girl" Maya replied, smirking.

Her friends at the station were perfectly acceptable of Maya being attracted to women, in which encouraged Maya's confidence when talking about the girls she's seeing or has been with to them.

"Ahhh, right yeah, ok sure. Just a girl helping a girl" Gibson replied, giving her a lopsided smile that she knew all too well to be his idea of a smirk, as he poured his cereal into a bowl and added the milk

"Shut it Gibson, you're one to talk" Maya argued, getting a bit annoyed that he felt the need to pry her on this, although she knew it was friendly banter between the two so didn't allow herself to become too upset.

"hm, well what can I say? The ladies can't resist" he replied as he waved his hands in front of his body and face.

Maya and the rest of the team let out a loud enough scoff to grab Jacks attention, making him burrow his eyebrows together in fake hurt.

He knew they were only messing with him, although he was a cocky guy, it was just apart of his charm and somehow he pulled it off.

The team continued to pick on jack as they ate their breakfast.

A five-fire alarm goes off during their amusing conversation about who has slept with who in the station, disrupting their friendly nasty comments as they leap from their seats and positions at the kitchen counter.

Once at the engine bay Maya grabs her helmet and jacket, putting them both on and hopping into the drivers seat waiting for the rest of her team to be ready before taking control of the situation.

"Ok this is a big one, we will have station 23 also assisting, be prepared." That's all she said before driving out of the station and towards their 5-fire alarm.

They arrive at the scene within 10 minutes and all hurry to their captain.

"Sir, how bad?" Maya asked, trying to prepare herself for this fire, expecting it to be a long, draining shift by the looks of the building in front of them.

"Well, Bishop the fire has spread all throughout the first and second floor and is currently spreading through the OB part of the hospital, we need all hands on deck on this one!" Before the members of Station 19 could get another word in he was already barking out orders left right and centre.

"Alright! Gibson, Herrera and Warren stay on the hoses and make sure to get rid of as much of the flames as you possibly can from the first floor".

"Yes, sir on it!" Warren answers, as him Herrera and Gibson make their way to the fire engines to start the hoses up.