Chapter 63: Bambina focus on me

"You'll be ok" Maya tried to listen to her wife's soothing words as she sat by her head and ran her hands through her smoke stained hair, but it was almost impossible as bursts of pain shot through her body making it hard for her to focus on anything other than the pain.

"Hurts" Carina could see the amount of pain Maya was in and it pained her to see the blonde like this, she normally had a manageable pain tolerance, so when she saw Maya struggling to speak, body shaking, face sweating- the sight made her heart swell.

"Look at me" she could see by Maya's eyes searching frantically around the room that she was about to get herself into a panic attack.

"Bambina focus on me" she stood so she was hovering over her wife, she placed both hands against Maya's cheeks and forcing Maya to lock eyes on her own.

"Good, listen to my breathing and copy me ok" she started to take deep breaths in and out slowly watching as Maya attempted to copy her.

"Good girl" carina had noticed that they weren't alone.

Meredith and Amelia had been in there for a while but both women hadn't noticed the doctors presence until Amelia spoke.

"We need to take her for a head CT" Amelia struggled to understand how Carina managed to calm Maya so quickly, she understood and heard about the blondes background with her father knowing that she struggled to relax because of the constant guilt and anxiety and years of abuse, so when she saw Carina rest her palms against the blondes cheek breathing in and out with Maya copying her technique she found it adorable that Maya had allowed herself to relax and love.

Maya heard the doctor and found herself panicking again.

"Shh Bella it's ok I'll come with you" she leant further down so she was resting her own forehead against Maya's an act that calmed the younger woman.

*******
"Do you know how she ended up here?" Meredith asked as Amelia ran the head CT.

"I haven't had a chance to speak to Andy or any of the others yet. Ben will probably fill me in" Carina had been wanting to know how Maya had ended up in hospital in such bad condition as well, but since Maya's arrival she hadn't had a chance to speak to Andy or any of the others about what happened.

"Why don't you go find her? We'll stay here with her and after we'll take her to room 134" Carina smiled at Meredith before nodding her head and making her way to where the firefighters sat waiting for a word about their friend.

"Carina, hey" Andy sighed when she saw someone that probably knew how her best friend was doing.

"She's stable, she's having a head CT as we speak" The rest of the team sighed in relief when they overheard Carina speaking.

"Oh thank god" Andy suddenly felt all of the weight lift from her shoulder when she heard the good news, but she could sense something off with Carina.

"What's wrong?" She asked but caught sight of Carina hesitating, she suddenly understood what she was struggling to ask her.

"She saved a little girl" Carinas face softened.

"She did?" She knew that as a firefighter you do anything you can to save the victim but now Maya was a mum which had to affect the way you think in some way.

"If it wasn't for Maya she would have died in that house" Carina couldn't bare the thought of loosing any of her children, so she was glad the blonde managed to help the little girl; it saddened her that she had to risk her own life whilst doing so but she was glad Maya was here now.

"She's an amazing firefighter being a mum just makes her better I just wish it didn't have to end with her here" carina smiled a sad smile before placing her hand on the brunettes shoulder squeezing it firmly to try and reassure her that everything will be alright.