Chapter 65: starting to loose hope

Maya was sat by Jamie's side

She had now been emitted from the hospital and was aloud to leave, but she never did.

Jamie was dehydrated and the treatment wasn't working.

Maya found it difficult to find hope.

Her brothers son was dying.

She thought of Jamie as her own but it was still sad to think that the only thing she has left of Mason is slowly dying.

She rested her hand in Jamie's, trying not to disturb him.

"Hi Bella" Carina whispered as she walked into the room Jamie was in sitting by Maya's side.

"Coffee" Carina handed Maya an espresso before placing a kiss to her cheek.

"He looks peaceful when he's asleep" Maya said, watching Jamie's chest rise and fall.

"I know" Carina hated to admit it, but sometimes she thought about loosing Jamie, and how it would be good for him to find peace.

No more pain.

However, she wasn't ready for that pain to transfer to herself.

Selfish maybe, but Jamie was apart of their family, they couldn't loose him.

Lexie had came to visit at early hours in the morning.

Both women didn't want to let the little girl down so asked Andrew to bring her in at six o'clock.

After they saw Lexie Maya made her way back to Jamie's room, whilst carina said goodbye to Lexie and her brother.

"Good morning" both women turned around when they heard a familiar voice.

"Morning doctor" Maya whispered.

"He's not doing too good is he?" Carina asked as she stood from the seat next to Maya.

"Honestly. No he isn't" Maya stood as well and held onto Carinas hand.

"The treatment is making him weaker than we'd thought. However, we think that taking him off it and doing the surgery will possibly work. We will be having some of the best surgeons on this one. Dr Bailey I'm sure you know" Carina nodded her head being very fond of the woman.

"It will work?" Maya asked knowing what the last surgery did to him.

"It's has a 90% success rate" Maya braced herself before asking the question both her and Carina wanted to ask.

"If it doesn't work?" The doctor paused for a moment before speaking again.

"If it doesn't work we'll have to put him back on the treatment and see what happens from there" Maya nodded her head as she moved her hand that was in Carinas to the brunettes back, running soothing circles across the fabric of her coat.

"That's all?" Carina asked.

"That's all I have to say for today. We will take him off his treatment today, and then the surgery will have to be two weeks from when the treatment has been removed" the doctor made her way to the door.

"Ok thank you"

****

"Rise and shine sleeping beauty" it was now late hours in the afternoon and Jamie had finally awoken.

"Morning" Maya passed her son the cup of water that sat on the unit next to the bed.

"Try and drink that for me" surprisingly Jamie gulped the liquid down within ten seconds.

"Slowly. You know you'll throw it up if you don't go slowly" Maya removed the cup from his hands.

"Sorry" Maya placed her hand on top of the smooth skin of his head.

"It's alright" Jamie smiled before leaning back down onto the pillows.

"You're tired today?" Maya asked noticing he felt more fatigued today.

"Yeah" he nodded his head before nuzzling into the covers.

"Your doctor told me and your mama some good news" Jamie hummed in response.

He tried to be happy when "good news" came along but it was hard when suffering from a disease that was slowly killing him.

"You're going to be taken off of the treatment and you'll have surgery in two weeks" Maya sensed that Jamie didn't feel to thrilled by having another surgery, and she could tell that he had also lost hope.

"It won't work" it broke her heart to see the boy she'd raised for most of his life looking so sad and hopeless, because in comparison Jamie was anything but.

"You don't know that" Jamie nodded his head but didn't say anything.

"I know this sucks" Maya pulled her chair closer to her son.

"I know it's horrible to be stuck in this small room everyday. Not being able to go outside and go to school and to learn and see new things. I know it's horrible. You've come so far. I'm incredibly proud of you. Your mama is as well. We all are. Your sister misses you, I can tell you miss your siblings too. It will not take you Jamie. You're too strong" Maya couldn't help but get emotional as she spoke.

She noticed a tear escape from Jamie's blue eyes before wiping the stray tear away.

After a moment of silence Maya stood.

"Want to go outside?" Jamie lifted his head from the pillow and nodded.

"You're not walking though ok you're too weak today" Jamie nodded and pulled the covers from him, being carful not to disturb the wires.

Maya pulled the wheelchair from the side of his bed and helped Jamie get in it.

"That's it" she adjusted his feet so they were resting in the foot rests.

"Let's go" she placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it gently.

****

After Maya took Jamie outside she made her way back into the hospital with her son.

They fed Jamie as much as he could eat and tucked him in for the night.

He had been taken off of his treatment.

Both Maya and Carina were relieved.

Maya stood outside again but alone this time.

The fresh air felt good in comparison to the hospital.

"Bella" she heard Carina before she saw her.

The tall woman snaked her long tanned arms around Maya's toned form.

"Hm" Carina placed a kiss to Maya's cheek.

"He'll be ok" Carina new what Maya was thinking about before she even told her.

"He's a fighter. He's come this far" Maya nodded her head trying to will the tears to go away.

"He'll be ok"

AN:

Hey guys. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. My real exams are coming up so I'll try to post as much as I can. Stay safe. Love you all