Chapter 45: Diagnoses

Both POV:

"Carina tell him" Maya said to her wife needing a little more assistance on this one, "look bambino it doesn't hurt just one needle to the arm, feels like a little pinch" she said demonstrating on Maya, "ouch"  she said over dramatically "I mean.... that didn't hurt at all Jamie" she said trying to persuade him. "Fine but will you come in with me?" He asked looking up at the blonde, "I'll be there the whole time" she replied leaning down to place a kiss to his forehead. Carina wishes she could be there but sadly has to work at the hospital.

"Ok if you could take your shirt up little man and I'll start" she said as she grabbed the wipe and needle from her desk. Maya helped Jamie lift his shirt up taking his glasses off before hand. "Ok I'm going to put this needle in and it'll sting for a second and then your arm will feel numb" she explained as she wiped his left arm with the wipe and injected the needle. Maya held onto her sons hand feeling him squeeze at it a little hard, "good job" the doctor praised as she took the needle out and wiped away the blood, "see that wasn't too bad was it?" Maya asked as Jamie opened his eyes and looked at the injection "it didn't even hurt" he replied a sense of relief washing over him.

Jamie grabbed his shirt and put it back on before placing his glasses back on as well. "Could I talk to you about something else?" Maya asked as she gave Jamie her phone so he could be occupied whilst she spoke to the doctor, "yes of course what's the issue?" She replied. "Well Jamie hasn't been eating a lot lately and has been having high temperatures... should I be worried" she asked, "ahhh well it could just be a tummy bug, do you want me to check him out?" She asked, "that would be great thank you" Maya replied.

"Ok Jamie mommy just wants me to do one more checkup to see if things are all good" she told the boy as she grabbed her stethoscope, "ok" he replied nodding his head and giving the phone back to Maya. "Breath in for me" she instructed as she placed the stethoscope on his chest listening to his heart beat, "and out" she added.

"All looks good" she said not quite understanding what the issue was so asking the boy for some help,
"So mommy tells me that you haven't been wanting to eat?" She asked trying to get to the bottom of what was causing his behaviour. "I'm just never hungry anymore" he shrugged, "what about when you do eat how do you feel?" She asked sensing a pattern, "sick" he replied, "ok do you ever feel bloated or full?" She asked writing down in her notepad the things he was telling her, "yes" he nodded. "Ok could we do an EGD I want to take a look because everything looks fine but what he's describing could be the start of stomach cancer" she explained. Maya's face went white, stomach cancer... her little boy. "Ok yes that's fine" she replied needing to stay strong for Jamie, "come on let's follow the lady Jamie" she said grabbing his hand and leading him out of the room. "Ok I admit this isn't nice, I am going to need to place this endoscope down your throat so I can have a proper look" she explained, "will it hurt?" He asked a little scared, "it doesn't hurt it's just not comfortable" she replied smiling softly at the boy.

"Good boy" Maya soothed watching as the doctor placed the tube down Jamie's throat. "Right you see this little patch here?" She asked as she brought the monitor closer to Maya, "yes I see it" she replied. "That's the early signs of stomach cancer, stage 1" she explained feeling guilty for the little boy, "I will admit him to your local hospital and try and get him an appointment to see someone" she added seeing Maya start to tear up, "what's wrong mommy?" Jamie asked also seeing his mother cry, "it's ok nothing mommy's fine" she reassured wiping her tears away. "Can I have a word with your mother for a second Jamie?" She asked pulling the blonde away when she got a nod. "This will be fine, we caught it early which means we can treat it early" she said rubbing Maya's shoulder trying to sooth her, "ok that's good" she sighed wiping her eyes with her sleeve. "Right bud let's go" she said once she was done talking to the doctor, he nodded and she grabbed his hand leading him out of the room.

Once they arrived home Jamie ran into the living room seeing his mother huddled on the couch with Lexie, "hi momma" he said jumping up on the sofa to be with the too women, "hey bambino how did it go?" She asked, "not good" he replied shortly being distracted by the tv, "how so?" She asked becoming worried, "ask mommy" he shrugged.

"Bella Jamie said the doctors didn't go well?" She asked seeing if she could get more out of Maya than she did with Jamie. "Well you know how he hasn't been eating a lot lately?" She asked knowing the brunette sensed something as well, "Sì..." she replied. "Well she said that it's the early stage of stomach cancer" she said watching as Carina placed her hands over her mouth and gasped, "oh my god" she said feeling a tear escape from her eyes,
"I know, but she said we caught it early, she's going to book him in for an appointment to get the treatment started" she added trying to stay positive, "Sì ok that's good" carina sighed trying to take it all in, "we'll get through it" Maya said as she pulled her wife in for a tight hug kissing her cheek.

AN:

I'm sorry 🥺😭
And no I am not a medical expert so sorry if I got anything wrong.