18 - Red Roses

Madison's POV

I have mixed emotions, I feel so guilty abot hurting Charles, and jealous with seeing Heather around. I am not in the mood for anything.

I decided to stay in my hotel room and just lay on the bed and look at the ceiling. I wish I didn't come to this place.

Occasionally, I call my Mom to check of Artie and Alec are doing fine. I don't like her to suspect that something is wrong so I pretended to be okay. 

"Where is Charles?" My mother asked.

"He is in a meeting with some rich folks" I replied.

"I should go now, Mom. Take care" I said then I remained doing nothing.

I didn't have lunch, or snacks. Lola called me so many times, but I refused to come with her.

That evening, I heard voices from outside the door.

"Sir, she's not coming out of the room since this morning." Lola said. Charles must be outside.

Then I heard knocks on the door.

"Madison..., the event is beginning soon. You need to prepare now." he said. I don't want to go to the rich people's event.

"I don't want to go!" I shouted.

"Madison," he said. I didn't look at him. I sounded like a spoiled child who doesn't want to go to school.

"Fine." he said calmly.

"I want to go back home." I said to him without looking at him.

"We will be going home after this event." he said. I didn't respond, then he fixed the bed for a while.

"Get ready, we will go home" he said. He then opened the lights and left the room.

-----------------
After the event, I made sure that I am prepared to leave. I have my stuff with me.

We got to use the helicopter for going home. It is better since I don't want to spend so much time next to him without talking.

After a few hours, we arrived home and it is a relied to finally see my kids again. It is already sunrise when we arrived.

"You should sleep" My mom said to me.

"I'm fine, Mom" I replied to her. I don't want to tell her everything that I've been through.

Charles stayed in his office and just got inside our bedroom to change his clothes.

--------------
Days and days passed and Charles and I are growing apart. I feel so empty. I feel like I am invisible.

Heather arrived and she greeted me. I just gave her a smile and didn't mind her. She said that she is in talks with Charles contract signings.

This is like a game, and I know I need to swallow my pride to fix our marriage.

I wanted to go inside the office, and look at the two of them. And as I walk near his office I heard them talking.

"I know a great Divoce lawyer for you" Heather said to Charles. Divorce? He is thinking of divorcing me and he even told someone our marital problems? How dare him do that.

"Charles, you can get full custody of the kids or just you biological son of you wanted to" Heather continued.

I didn't hear what Charles said. I just listened.

"You can prove that Madison cheated, she will not get even a penny from you." Heather continues talking about the divorce.

"In fact, your mother and maid died because of Madison. That seems suspicious already." She added.

I don't know what to do. I don't want Charles to take my kids away from me. I started shaking.

-------------
I saw Mom is going out. I run down stairs to talk to her.

"Mom, where are you going?" I asked her. She will get Artie from school, but it is too early for her to leave.

"I will just visit your sister's grave then I will pick up Artie." She replied.

"I will come with you." I said. I don't want to stay in this house with only Heather and Charles.

I brought Alec with me.

Mother stopped for a while in a flower shop to buy my sister's favorite red roses. Then we got to the cemetery. There no people here.

She left the roses next to my sister's name Margaret Baker.We sat in front of my sister's grave and remained silent for a while. Then my mom is in tears.

"Mom..." I said. My mom started wiping her tears.

"Let's go now" she said. I followed what she said.

I just remembered what Margaret said to me before I gave birth to Alec. She said that she wants me to come back to our mother and she will help me start a new life again. I should have listened to her, I should have believed in her.

Also, I remembered Mrs. Newman when she wanted me to disappear in their lives. I should have listened, my life would have been very different if I listened to them. And maybe they are both alive if I did.

I just realized I am a reason for all the tragic events that happened. Even with Joe and Relina's passing, it is me to blame.

When my mother and I are on the car to drive to Artie's preschool. I finally said something to mother.

"Mom, Charles is planning on divorcing me." I said to her.

"Why would he do that?" she asked.

"Mom, he wants to get our children away from me. I don't want that to happen." I replied.

"What are you planning to do?" she asked.

I didn't respond for a while. I thought about running away with the kids and Mom. I want to go away from those rich people, and start a life without getting involved in their messy life.

"I'm planning on leaving." I replied.

"Madison, wherever we go Charles will find us. He got the power to search the whole America or even the world if he has to" mother said. She has a point, but I will do the best that I can to have my kids with me.

"But we have to try, I don't want to spend my life without my kids, I don't want them to grow up to that shitty rich people." I said.

"When are we leaving then?" Mother asked.

"We will leave now" I replied.