8 - Growing Pain

MADISON

It is my third day at work and it feels like forever. This past few days changed my life completely. It began with Mrs. Newman's death, then Xavier's death. I am hoping that there will be no more deaths to follow, at least not this year too.

"What are you thinking?" Luke appeared from nowhere.

"I'm just thinking how suspicious everything is." I replied to him.

"What's suspicious?" he asked. Luke and I haven't talked like this in awhile.

"Mrs. Newman dying and Xavier dying." I replied. He seems curious all of a sudden.

"Xavier's dead?" he asked.

"Yeah, he died in prison yesterday" I said to him.

"Just think of it as a coincidence, there are really times like this." he said.

"I hope so." I replied.

Camilla appeared all of a sudden.

"Hey" She said with that attitude.

"Camilla" Luke said.

"Luke, your team is looking for you." she said to him.

"I gotta go." Luke said as he walks away.

"Please Madison, don't try to flirt with Luke again. You cannot have every men there is." she said.

"Camilla, Luke is my best friend. Don't talk about me like I'm a whore." I said to her.

"Whatever." she said then she rolls her eyes before leaving. This is like some sort of high school bitch moments.

I started to hate Camilla, but on the other hand she's still grieving for her mother's death.

I worked very hard to understand whatever this things are. I wanted to ask Charles, but he had a full schedule.

We do work at the same place, but we barely see each other.

The day ended and he walks in to my office.

"Ready to go home?" he asked then he smiled.

I nod and grabbed my bag. I really miss him.

I hugged him before we even left my office.

"How's your day?" he asked.

"It's boring" I said to him.

"Why?" he asked.

"I didn't see you at some point." I replied to him. He smiled and blushed.

"You're really in love with me." he teased.

"You are really in love with me." I threw it back to him.

It was a great afternoon, us going home together to see our kids. It's a relief that although we had problems, we are happy together.

When we got home, I saw Relina opening the door.

"You got a visitor," Relina said.

"Who?" I said as I walked in and saw my mother. Why is she here?

"Madison" she said as she walk towards me and hugs me.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I asked her.

"I saw you in the newspaper, and I wanted to see you personally." she said. Of course, I was in the news after Mrs. Newman's death.

"I've been finding you for almost two years." she said. I can't believe I'm hearing her now.

"You must be Mr. Charles Newman" Mom said to Charles.

"Yes, Mrs. Baker. It's a pleasure to meet you" Charles replied.

I don't know what to do. Why is she here?

"No need to call me Mrs. Baker, just call me Marianne." she said.

"They are really rich" I heard that familiar voice. It is Joe, my mother's boyfriend.

"You're still together?" I asked Mom.

"Yes." She replied.

"Madison, the bank got the house and we no longer have a place to live." she said.

"Mom, what did you do?" I asked her. I wanted to be mad, but I don't want to make a scene now.

"Your sister stopped sending money for a long time now." she said.

"She died, mom" I said to her. She started crying.

"What happened to her?" she asked.

"Margaret's dead? I knew it" Joe said.

"It's a long story." I don't want to talk about Margaret's death for now.

"You can stay her for tonight, and we will figure out what to do tomorrow." Charles said. I wanted to stop him, but Charles is so nice.

"Okay, thank you so much." Mom said.

"Thanks" Joe said with that attitude.

I headed upstairs and Charles followed me.

"It's nice that I've met your mother." Charles said.

"Believe me, you wish you haven't met her. She's a pain in the ass." I said.

"At least you still have a mother." Charles said.

"She's a different mother, Charles. The moment dad died she no longer became the mom she used to be. That's why Margaret left in the first place." I replied to him.

"Let's just take some rest and think about it tomorrow." Charles replied.