9 - Walking Slow

MADISON

I didn't get any sleep last night, I just can't believe that my Mom is here, because before I thought that I will never see her again after I left our home.

"You didn't get some sleep." Charles said.

"I didn't, I'm can't stop thinking about my Mom being here." I said to him.

"What do you want to do about her?" Charles asked.

"Charles, the truth is I don't want to live with her and Joe." I replied to him.

"Why?" he asked. I know he won't understand me.

"Charles, there are different mothers. You are blessed with a loving one and I am not." I told him.

"But she's still your mother, you need to love her." he said. Charles looks like he still can't cope up with his mother's passing.

"It's not that I don't feel anything for her, I just want to live separately with her. I am not comfortable having her around." I said to him.

"Madison..." Charles said.

"His boyfriend tried to abuse me so many times." I said it. I want to avoid talking about things like that to him, but he left me no choice.

"Okay, I understand you. I will let them live in a house that we own. Then we will just give your mother some financial support." He said.

"That would be right." I said to him.

"We will tell her this morning." Charles said.

We prepared ourselves for coming to work. I didn't want to make my mother's coming as an excuse to not do my job.

We went downstairs and saw my Mom and Joe.

"Good morning," mom said.

"Good morning" I replied.

"Marianne, Madison and I talked about what to do. And you can stay with one of our houses, don't worry about the money, we will take care of it." Charles said to Mom.

"Where exactly is it?" Mom asked.

"It's just on the other town" Charles replied. My mother is not happy about it, I can see it in her face.

"Charles, ahmm I was hoping I can stay here with you." Mom said.

"Mom, please I don't want to live with you especially with Joe." I said.

"Hey why?" Joe said.

I ignored him. No one talked after that.

----------
In the office, I started signing papers. I still can't believe that I'm working like this. Charles and I didn't see each other after that morning.

Someone knocked on my door. I can see his face from the glass door.  It is Alfred Nolan.

"Hey, Madison" He said.

"Hey, come in" I said to him.

He goes in.

"So what brings you here?" I asked him.

"I submitted some of the papers for the project. Would you like to go for lunch?" he asked.

"Oh, sure." I replied. I fixed the papers and quickly stood.

We walked out of the building. I don't think Charles would be mad if I will have lunch with Alfred.

But people started looking at us. We didn't even have a close contact, we just walked together like normal friends.

"They're looking" I said.

"People always look, don't be worried about it." he said.

"You know Charles said you dated my sister." I said to him. He didn't speak immediately.

"Yes, we've been together for some time." he said. His tone changed, I bet he didn't expect it.

"Where did you meet?" I asked. I wanted to really know what Margaret had been.

"We met at the bar, she's serving drinks." he said.

We chose the same Italian restaurant we went before. We ordered pasta dishes that I can't say the name out loud.

"Did you know she's Margaret?" I asked him.

"I didn't, I met her as Helen already. But she did mention that she had a sister and that she ranaway." he replied.

I didn't reply, I feel like he doesn't want to talk about it that much. I might ruin our ongoing friendship.

"I really loved her, I did everything to make her happy." he continued.

"I think you really made her happy" I replied.

I don't want to dig more information, I just want to talk more. But I can't help it.

"Why did you end your relationship?" he asked. He stopped eating, I probably crossed the line at this question.

"She fell in love with Charles." he simply said.

"Oh." the only thing I can say.

"But that's in the past anyway." he replied then he smiled.

After we ate, he asked me to go to the library.

"Helen and I used to go in this Library." he said.

"She loves to read." I said to him. We started walking to look at the books on the shelves. We saw Science books, Math books and Cook books. It was huge.

"Yes, she wants to study Literature" He said.

We stopped walking for a while. He kept silent. I looked at him, I'd like to break the silence, but he kissed me.