5 - Daily Work

MADISON

Charles seems worried about something. We are lying on the bed and he seems to be thinking hard.

"What's bothering you Charles?" I asked him.

"It's about Elmyra, I don't know who will replace my Mom for the work." he said.

"Yeah, that would be hard. I know your Mom's the best in what she do." I said to him.

"Yes, she's the only one who got the smarts to make everything a lot easier." he replied.

"Why don't you assign your Uncle?" I asked him.

"I can't do that, once he stepped in the position, he will take advantage of it. My mom doesn't want him there." Charles said.

"What about Camilla, she's been with your Mom, and she studied overseas, right?" I said to him.

"Camilla hasn't been working for a long time, and besides she gets easily fooled." Charles said.

"Is there anyone that you can trust to handle it?" I asked him.

"Besides you, no one else." he replied.

"Well, what about Dylan?" I asked him.

"Dylan is not equipped to do such work. I'd give him a better job someday, but it is not my Mom's job." he replied.

"Choosing is tough," I said.

"Why don't you fill for my mother's place?" He asked. What? No. I haven't finished college.

"I don't think I'm qualified at all" I replied. I laughed about it and he is not laughing at all.

"Why are you not laughing?" I asked him.

"Because I'm serious." he said.

"Artie is just starting school and Alec just turned one. I can't work now." I replied. He started thinking of what good to say.

"But I don't want to hire or promote anyone for the position." He said.

"Charles, I didn't finish college. And besides people might think I really did it to your mother just to get her job." I said.

He didn't respond for awhile. I hope that he will come to his senses about it.

"Then you will go to college, and work at the same time." he said. I can't believe he really wants me to handle business.

"Charles, we have two little kids. I think I don't have the time to do that." I said to him.

"Well do that for me now, until I find someone who can replace you." He said.

"How long will I be working?" I asked him.

"Just two months" he said.

"Two months?" that's very long.

"Yes, just give me two months to decide which one to promote." he said. I don't really have any choice but to do it.

"You will start tomorrow"  he said.

----------------------------
That morning, we both woke up early. I don't really know what to wear. I want to look respectful and serious so everyone won't think I'm just that baby maker.

I wore a white top and a black skirt and wore Charles' jewelry gifts to me. It will be the first time I'd show up with those golden earrings and necklace.

"You look really beautiful." Charles said.

"I know" I said to him and we both laughed. Both the kids are sleeping and I just instructed Relina to take care of them.

We headed to Elmyra and from the moment we stepped inside, employees started looking at us. It was quite a scene for me. They started to murmur.

Camilla is also there. Oh my goodness, I don't want to fight with her again.

"Charles, Madison. Why are you here?" she asked.

"She will be working here for awhile" Charles answers her question.

"Oh, I see." she said then she left.

I breathe heavily knowing that she didn't start an argument.

"I'm glad she didn't say anything else." I said to Charles.

"I've talked to her, she won't be making any scene again." Charles replied. We walked to the elevator. Until we reached her mother's office.

Everyone in that floor greeted him and I.

"For now on, everyone of you will be working with my wife. I expect that you will be cooperative in whatever situation." he announces. I am a bit shy, I didn't even know yet what his mother did.

We entered her office and he began searching for papers.

"My mother talks to potential partners. You just have to be nice and be friends with them. You should familiarize yourself with the project as well." he said.

"Oh, that's challenging." I said to him.

"Yes, after that I'll be the one to speak with them about the things under this project. And what are their concerns." he said.

"Okay, I'll try." I replied

He handed over folders.

"Those are the names of our potential partners. You will be needing time to read it and then decide whether the project should go on and you will speak to the other company." he said.

Charles left and I started reading the files. They were actually good. I hope that I don't screw up this chance, because I just want to help him.