4 - Past Life

MADISON

We got home without even speaking. Charles didn't say any word about it. I wonder what he thinks.

"Mommy, why are yelling at Auntie?" Artie asked. I don't know what to say, how can I make this easier for him to understand.

"We just have a misunderstanding, sweetie." I replied. I didn't want him to know more things about our situation. He is way too young to be a part of this mess.

"Madison, I'm very sorry about what Camilla said." Charles said to me.

"I'm sorry too, I don't want to make a huge scene, but I just can't let her talk to me like that." I replied to him.

"I will talk to her tomorrow. I will make sure she won't do that again." he replied.

From the day his mom died, it feels like everything changed between Charles and I. There is a space that gets bigger between as days passed. I am sure he feels it too.

I found Alfred Nolan's handkerchief on my pocket.

"You know Alfred Nolan?" I asked Charles.

"Yes, he is my friend, why?" he replied.

"We have spoken before we left your mother's house." I replied.

"What did he say?" he asked. I don't want to tell him much about it.

"He introduced himself and told me you are friends" I replied.

"He owns a company in Montpelier" he said.

"Montpelier, Vermont?" I asked him.

"Yes."

"You mean he is rich rich like you?" I asked him.

"He may be richer than me." he replied.

"Oh, can anyone be richer than you?" I teased.

"They wanted to buy Elmyra before." he said. If they can buy Elmyra, then they are really rich.

"They are vastly wealthy." I said.

-----------------------
That night, Luke called.

Luke: Madison, I'm sorry about Camilla. We've been fighting about it all day and she won't change her mind.

Me: it's not your fault look, you don't need to apologize.

Luke: But I still I don't want everyone to be talking about your family issues.

Me: It's already done, the news is spreading to fast. We cannot stop it.

Luke: How are you and Charles?

Me: We're fine. We talked about it, he said he will talk to Camilla too.

Luke: I hope Camilla will listen to him.

Me: Me too, I just wanted to have peace.

Luke: Just give it a few weeks, everything will go back to normal.

Me: I hope so.

"Who are you talking to?" Charles asked.

"It's Luke, it's about Camilla" I replied.

Luke: Is that Charles?

Me: Yes

Luke: Then I probably should go. Goodnight.

Me: Goodnight

I hang up and Charles is still staring at me.

"Luke said he spoke to Camilla about what happened this morning. He can't change her mind." I said to him.

"Camilla is hard headed." he replied.

"I hope when you speak to her, she will change her mind." I said to him.

"I hope so too" he said. He kissed me, I miss this.

"I'm really sorry Madison" he said.

"It's okay, I know this is really hard for you. Your wife and sister are not in good terms and so you are stuck in the middle" I said to him.

"Yes, I don't want to hurt any of you if I choose sides. Besides, Camilla is really close to Mom, so she can't just forget this." he explained.

"I miss you" I said to him. We kissed again, a deep one.

"Do you wanna?" he asked.

"Wanna?" I said then smiled.

"Wanna go" he said then he smiles too. I miss that smile.

"Let's go" I said then we kissed again. He started removing his shirt then mine.

I just imagined this is the night where it was only us. I didn't think of anyone except him, Charles. The man I loved from the moment I got to know him.

Tonight there is no Camilla or their mother. It wasn't about Newmans, not Charles Newman, just Charles. He is just Charles and I am just Madison.

-------------------

A man sitting on a chair is holding a photo of The Newmans. The late Mrs. Newman in her favorite white dress, and her children, Charles and Camilla.

He cuts Mrs. Newman's picture and placed it in his corkboard where Helen's photo is also hanged.